D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

But TV shows aren't only 22 minutes, but seasons of near twenty episodes, enough space for the evolution of the characters. And the Latinoamerican soap-operas have got near one hundred episodes...in only one season! (this is the reason they are nicknamed "culebrones"( = big/long snakes).

Zombieland may be a fun movie, but the plot was relatively simple, the main character meets other suvivors and they face the zombies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It is very hard to tell a good story with only 90 minutes, and this as part of a franchise where they have to have a coherence with the continuity. And you can't ask a deep story for a aspirant blockbuster.

A the best writters would rather to not work for others but to enjoy the maximum creative freedom. Screenwritters don't like producers asking this or that change in the story.

* How many monsters in the movie? To sell toys for children.

* It is curious but quests of Fortnite: Save the World are funny, but also they can a good message. Here the screenwriters do a well work, but it is totally unknown by the most of gamers.
Yes I remember how good and deep the stories were in the Transformer movies. Oh wait...

But why does 90 minutes even matter? Has anyone come out and said the movie would be 90 minutes long?

I don't know what people consider to be the standard these days, but growing up in the 70's and 80's, it was generally that a movie trying to tell a story was close to 120 minutes long and the mindless comedy or horror movies, with no real story, were around 90 minutes. So when a movie came out that was supposed to be "serious" was closer to 90 minutes than 120, it was considered a disappointment. For example for current day, when I saw that Venom 2 is barely 90 minutes long, I felt disappointed and let down by it being so short.

I don't know what people consider to be the standard these days, but growing up in the 70's and 80's, it was generally that a movie trying to tell a story was close to 120 minutes long and the mindless comedy or horror movies, with no real story, were around 90 minutes.
There has been no real change in movie runtime, despite people often thinking there has. The science here:

It's not really true to claim that "mindless/no story = 90 minutes" and "smart/story = 120 minutes" in that era though. That's easy to see if you look through movies of the era. It's more like almost all movies regardless of anything else, tend to group around 100-120 minutes, but you also have great and smart movies which are barely over 90 minutes (The Lost Boys, The Breakfast Club, Labyrinth, etc.). Comedy and horror do tend to run shorter, but that's regardless of anything else - Spinal Tap is only 82 minutes for goodness sake.

@LuisCarlos17f Going off the rails and arguing all TV shows rely upon a season or more to tell a compelling story? Ever seen an episode of the Twilight Zone? Or one of the many other stand alone style shows? You're not getting it. Coming up with an exception is irrelevant.

My real point was where are you even coming up with this 90 minute criteria? Who has said the D&D movie will be 90 minutes or less? Maybe it will be a 4 hour movie for all we know. (yeah, no.) (Did I miss something earlier in this thread quoting the producer saying the movie length?)

And then, even if it is 90 minutes or less, you really want to try to argue that a video of 90 minutes or less can not ever tell a compelling story? Because that's already been shown to be a false statement.

People mock the transformer movies online because it's trendy, but they didn't make Billions with a long shot to go mainstream IP for no reason, they had to have done something right beyond explosions. They were fun, heart warming movies.
Yep, and they used tropes and stereo types common enough that the audiences were able to understand the characters and their motivations within minutes of them showing u on the screen. Nothing wrong with that. No reason a movie has to be deep and complex with characters that take decades to decipher :)

Oofta

Legend
People mock the transformer movies online because it's trendy, but they didn't make Billions with a long shot to go mainstream IP for no reason, they had to have done something right beyond explosions. They were fun, heart warming movies.
Did I say explosions were bad? :)

I enjoy spectacle at the movies as well as anyone, while the Transformers aren't "must see in the theater" movies for me, everyone has their picks. I've seen every Resident Evil movie in the theater (including the last one/reboot) because it became a tradition for us. So you obviously may not want to go to me for recommendations on movies.

Remove ads