D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

dave2008

Legend
Kid on the front left is one of the writers. Look at him: he knows D&D.

freaks-and-geeks-dm-manual.jpg
One of my favorite episodes of TV (any show).

dave2008

Legend
He's not really a draw and his pay reflects that. Real A listers used to get 20 million in the 90's. Adjusted for inflation what's that these days?
You keep saying this, but that is not true (depending on your definition of A-list). Actors who got 20 mill in the 90s - were one or two people. That is not the entire A-list. Many A-list actors have never gotten that much and still do not.

Now, do I think CP is an A-list actor. IDK and don't really care. However, the idea that his pay is not commensurate with an A-list actor is just wrong. I even posted a list for you that included the top 18 (CP was #16) in the pay category. You don't break the $20 mill. mark today until you get into the top 10, and only the they very tippy-top make significantly more (two are making $50 mill/movie - one of which is Daniel Craig).

Personally, I consider A-list actors ones like De Niro (who has never made more than $14 mil / film) who are great actors, not necessarily heart-throb types (which seem to be the highest paid).

EDIT: I would say at least the top 20 (probably even top 50) actors in pay are the A-list of actor pay.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The key many folks are missing is that the writer/directors used Pine in their horrible bosses 2 movie. They have some history working with each other. Hopefully, that translates to this film and elevates it. Wont know until we see trailers and the film is released tho.

A lot of you arguing about actor salaries are forgetting one thing, a lot of the bigger names take a smaller up-front payday and get a percentage of the back-end profits. So an actor may be paid 5 million to be in the movie, but they may also get 5% of the profits. So for a movie that clears 100 million in profits, that will pay that actor another 5 million.

dave2008

Legend
A lot of you arguing about actor salaries are forgetting one thing, a lot of the bigger names take a smaller up-front payday and get a percentage of the back-end profits. So an actor may be paid 5 million to be in the movie, but they may also get 5% of the profits. So for a movie that clears 100 million in profits, that will pay that actor another 5 million.
And then there is the sad tale of actors getting paid $0 for blockbusters that the accountants said had no profits. For instance: IIRC, the actor that played Darth Vadar in the original movies was never paid his percentage because those movies made $0 profit.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
And then there is the said tale of actors getting paid $0 for blockbusters that the accountants said had no profits. For instance: IIRC, the actor that paid dart vadar in the original movies was never paid his percentage because those movies made $0 profit.

Hollywood accounting.

teitan

Legend
Today the famous actors aren't the best hook for the audence. The age of the superstarts ended. A good actor can add a lot of charisma for his character, but that is different. And Hollywood isn't the dream land any more. The people don't love it.

My hope is this time D&D will work in the hitbox, at least enough for a sequel, or an animated CGI teleserie as spin-off. It is exotic and spectacular but without the saturation of superheroes, and the characters aren't too perfect and powerful (we know the Gary-Stu/Mary-Sue are annoying and boring). Here the goal is the audence to have fun.
Tell Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, WIll Smith, Keanu Reeves, RDJ & Tom Cruise that. ANy movie they are in, whether it fails or not, just on their name alone, even with the scientology issues for Cruise, guarantees a certain amount of butts in the seats and that's why they have the power that they do and can do pet projects like another Riddick movie off of a Fast & Furious movie or Cruise more artsy flicks after a Mission Impossible movie. Johnson is considered a franchise saver with his addition to F&F films and even his GI Joe film is credited with having done as well as it did in comparison with the previous because he was in it vs were he not in it. Arguably there are more superstars now than there were but they aren't as big as they were in the Arnold, Sly, Bruce, & Kurt days or even with Michael Douglas in that group. Those guys were insanely popular. These days its all about MCU, for now.

Remove ads