D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

One thing to remember is that most blockbusters make the majority of their money in non english speaking countries, particularly china.

Dialogue and culture is hard to sell to different groups, so you tend to get a lot of the "robots go boom" movies as it's universal and easily understood.

If the D&D movie is going to try and compete in that space, expect it to be much more about exciting combats and special effects, and of a more basic dialogue and plot development.

I'm expecting it to be more Guardians of the Galaxy in approach then say Transformers.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm expecting it to be more Guardians of the Galaxy in approach then say Transformers.
Im hoping for the former myself. I mean, as heartwarming as dialogue that loopholes statutory relations with minors is, we could certainly do without this in a D&D movie.

So do i, and if they keep a modest goal in mind and try to produce a movie with good characters and dialogue i'll be thrilled.

My only point was that there is an incentive for production companies to "dumb down" plots and characters to appeal to more countries. Sometimes films with big budgets suffer from this.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
My expectations for this movie are incredibly low. So low I suspect Chris Pines career may never recover.

Why?

Unlike prior D&D movies, this one has:

A serious budget;

Serious writers who understand the subject; and

Have decent movies under their belt;

Also have decent experience directing;

And even have some D&D cred (one of them is listed as a contributor to Rime of the Frost maiden).

Plus a VERY experienced cast, all around.

Does this guaranty a good movie or a hit? Of course not, but it should give some hope and decent expectations!

bennet

Explorer
Why?

Unlike prior D&D movies, this one has:

A serious budget;

Serious writers who understand the subject; and

Have decent movies under their belt;

Also have decent experience directing;

And even have some D&D cred (one of them is listed as a contributor to Rime of the Frost maiden).

Plus a VERY experienced cast, all around.

Does this guaranty a good movie or a hit? Of course not, but it should give some hope and decent expectations!
I think there immense difficulty in creating a movie in a fantasy genre that takes itself seriously and doesn't come across as silly. Lord of the Rings pulled it off, but that was due to great source material. Hollywood constantly writes poor stories nowadays (Eternals, Matrix 4, Star Wars, Game of thrones last seasons ) and to write a brand new story with dwarves and elves... I am rooting for it, but I don't have an ounce of faith in it.

Remove ads