TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Why?

Unlike prior D&D movies, this one has:

A serious budget;

Serious writers who understand the subject; and

Have decent movies under their belt;

Also have decent experience directing;

And even have some D&D cred (one of them is listed as a contributor to Rime of the Frost maiden).

Plus a VERY experienced cast, all around.

Does this guaranty a good movie or a hit? Of course not, but it should give some hope and decent expectations!
Kid on the front left is one of the writers. Look at him: he knows D&D.

freaks-and-geeks-dm-manual.jpg

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think there immense difficulty in creating a movie in a fantasy genre that takes itself seriously and doesn't come across as silly. Lord of the Rings pulled it off, but that was due to great source material. Hollywood constantly writes poor stories nowadays (Eternals, Matrix 4, Star Wars, Game of thrones last seasons ) and to write a brand new story with dwarves and elves... I am rooting for it, but I don't have an ounce of faith in it.

I think taking itself TOO seriously would actually be a recipe for disaster for this movie!

But considering the writing/directing team, that's highly unlikely.

The writer/directors of this movie wrote Spiderman Homecoming and directed Game Night. That should give you an idea of their style and is IMO a good sign.

My expectations for this movie are incredibly low. So low I suspect Chris Pines career may never recover.
I think Chis Pine is entrenched enough as a go to for genre action-adventure that he'll continue to get work in such fare for a few years yet, even should he suffer some flops.

What may be imperiled is this strange belief that he is some sort of "draw" that is worth double digit millions to secure in your movie. He's done a fine job in everything I've ever seen him in, but I've never felt more inclined to see a movie because it had Chris Pine.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think Chis Pine is entrenched enough as a go to for genre action-adventure that he'll continue to get work in such fare for a few years yet, even should he suffer some flops.

What may be imperiled is this strange belief that he is some sort of "draw" that is worth double digit millions to secure in your movie. He's done a fine job in everything I've ever seen him in, but I've never felt more inclined to see a movie because it had Chris Pine.

He's not really a draw and his pay reflects that. Real A listers used to get 20 million in the 90's. Adjusted for inflation what's that these days?

His movies don't make a lot of money either outside of the franchises he's been in. Even MCU stars can bomb outside the MCU. I think the Rock and maybe Cruise can pull the punters in on name recognition alone.

Vin Diesel reliable as well but mostly in Fast and Furious but it's kind of his franchise by now so yeah. Pines fine but he's not really exciting imho.

Strange idea: Pine was cast for his acting ability.

Rege-Jean Page is the eye candy.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Being British, I am naturally more interested in British actors.
Being german the only draw a german actor in a hollywood production has is too see how 'cringe' it's going to get.

OK, Daniel Brühl did good, but for every Daniel we 'export' a dozend Till Schweigers and Matthias Schweighöfer.

So you decide if the net contribution is positive. :)

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Point. When was the last time you wanted to see a movie because it had Chris Pine in it? Or anyone really?

Off to see Ghostbusters tomorrow arrived here late.
I'll watch anything that has Gary Oldman in it. ...and Tom Waits because its Tom f-in Waits.

Remove ads