• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City State of the Invincible Overlord - worth it?

Sir Robilar

First Post
I found this book (Necromancer Games edition) in my FLGS. They still sell it for the original price but I am unsure whether I should get it. So now I´m wondering:

Is it a collector´s piece and will bring me a fortune one day?

Is it cool?

Cheers,
Rob.

If it's in mint condition and you pm me after you post it on ebay for, say, $10 more than you bought it for list price, I can just about guarantee it'll make you money.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
It's an excellent book! Go for it, especially if you prefer low magic grittiness to your sword and sorcery. I own this book and have nothing but good things to say. I will warn you though, that this book does give just enough information on people and locations to give a DM a starting point, but does not by itself lead to a ready to play meta campaign. As DM you'll have to fill the gaps.

Melan

Explorer
Probably not a collectible (a brand new Wilderlands of High Fantasy boxed set at list price would be one, however), but it is a very cool supplement. Enthusiastic, full of local colour and adventure hooks, and pretty well organised too. Perfect for "Ffahrd and Grey Mouser"-style games.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Probably not a collectible (a brand new Wilderlands of High Fantasy boxed set at list price would be one, however), but it is a very cool supplement. Enthusiastic, full of local colour and adventure hooks, and pretty well organised too. Perfect for "Ffahrd and Grey Mouser"-style games.
Next time someone gets the license for it, I hope they go systemless and make a sturdy hardcover out of it. It's the kind of book that, like the Ffahrd and Grey Mouser stories, has a timeless appeal. I could definitely see running my kid through it when he's older.

catsclaw227

First Post
Look... As far as I am concerned, this is a great buy for any reason. I don't care if my copy is worth money. It's worth GOLD for an awesome, detailed, D&D city, with amoral leaders and a ton of influence.

I love this book (though I love even MORE their Bard's Gate hardback), and you can always play it straight or strip it for ideas.

Resale value? I have no idea.

Personal value? Off the charts. It's been a linchpin in two of my campaigns.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Don't think in terms of making money - you're just not going to do much of it with RPG books. Maybe a bit, but not much (e.g. you might find Knights of the Old Republic at a bookstore for cover price and then be able to sell it for $60 or $70, but so what?).

But yeah, buy the book. Or buy it for me and I'll PayPal you and add in a few bones for appreciation's sake. Looks like Aberzanzorax has dibs, so I'll wait ;).

Remove ads