• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cityscape - WOW what great art!

Nyaricus

First Post
So, I picked up Cityscape, and I was looking through it, and I gotta say this: it has some of the best artwork in a book by WotC that I've ever seen. I don't think there's a piece in there that I don't like. It's very moody, thematic, dramatic and just well polished. I have to say that I'm really impressed with this products art, and it's far better than some of WotC's previous products, like Races of Faerun or Serpent Kingdoms (the book to beat for the worst cover by WotC ever).

So, was anyone else surprized or impressed by this books artwork?

cheers,
--N

P.S. The Art Gallery is up at the Wizards website.

JustKim

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I have to say that I'm really impressed with this products art, and it's far better than some of WotC's previous products, like Races of Faerun or Serpent Kingdoms (the book to beat for the worst cover by WotC ever).
Your picks for worst books are also a couple of books Dennis Cramer/Crabapple/Crabapple-McClain had a lot of illustrations in. This is probably not a coincidence. WotC used him for like four years with people complaining about every piece. Not in a one-in-fifty-people "Wayne Reynolds is so unrealistic" way, but a "How does Pauly Shore keep getting work" way. There was a ghastly picture in a Dragon long ago that I chimed in about on Wizards.com's Dragon message board, and Dennis came in to say some pretty juvenile things. So I don't feel sorry for him at all if he's no longer being hired by WotC (and it seems like he isn't).

Anyway, Cityscape was an okay looking book I guess. Not among my favorites or anything.

BryonD

Hero
cignus_pfaccari said:
I can't say I'll get any use out of Cityscape, but I did notice that the art was particularly good this time.

Brad
Yeah, I agree. I'm maybe a little more positive on the content than you. But it certainly didn't score big points for me.

But the art really is quite nice.

Nyaricus

First Post
mattcolville said:
Good to see them hewing closer to traditional fantasy.
I think that's why I liked this one so much - it was very traditional in it's look. Very few silly things in it; that was nice to see. I'm super-impressed by this artwork, adn can only cross my fingers that WotC will keep up the great work!

cheers,
--N

Vocenoctum

First Post
Cityscapes are was good, but one of my favorite pictures is in Dragonmarked. The halfling healing with the corpse collectors in the background. It's not a world shattering stylistic thing, but I liked it a lot.

Nyaricus

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
The halfling healing with the corpse collectors in the background. It's not a world shattering stylistic thing, but I liked it a lot.
Hmmm, I tried to look this up at the Wizards website, but unfortunately they don't have that gallery up.

cheers,
--N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads