• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cityscape - WOW what great art!

Zogmo

First Post
JustKim said:
Your picks for worst books are also a couple of books Dennis Cramer/Crabapple/Crabapple-McClain had a lot of illustrations in. This is probably not a coincidence. WotC used him for like four years with people complaining about every piece. Not in a one-in-fifty-people "Wayne Reynolds is so unrealistic" way, but a "How does Pauly Shore keep getting work" way. There was a ghastly picture in a Dragon long ago that I chimed in about on Wizards.com's Dragon message board, and Dennis came in to say some pretty juvenile things. So I don't feel sorry for him at all if he's no longer being hired by WotC (and it seems like he isn't).

Looks like we won't be seeing his art again!
Just in case you really care... ;)

It says on Dennis Crabapple-McClains myspace that his dream of being an illustrator has crashed and has sold off all his art supplies and moved to South Korea.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=102903513

Psion

Adventurer
JustKim said:
There was a ghastly picture in a Dragon long ago that I chimed in about on Wizards.com's Dragon message board, and Dennis came in to say some pretty juvenile things. So I don't feel sorry for him at all if he's no longer being hired by WotC (and it seems like he isn't).

Ah. The gory halfling pic.

I still remember the "dump in my happy place" post. The perfect rebuttal. Who made that?

Wonder if I could find that again. Good times, good times.

Aus_Snow

First Post
JustKim said:
Your picks for worst books are also a couple of books Dennis Cramer/Crabapple/Crabapple-McClain had a lot of illustrations in. This is probably not a coincidence. WotC used him for like four years with people complaining about every piece. Not in a one-in-fifty-people "Wayne Reynolds is so unrealistic" way, but a "How does Pauly Shore keep getting work" way.
So, uh. . . are they still hiring Ginger Kubic? He has done some (IMO) truly godawful pieces in various WotC books, and I really hope he's not doing that anymore. Nothing personal; they might be really nice in person, or whatever. But still. :\

Just wondering.

/tj :heh:

edit --- found out a bit of useful info to make things clearer.

Vocenoctum said:
Cityscapes are was good, but one of my favorite pictures is in Dragonmarked. The halfling healing with the corpse collectors in the background. It's not a world shattering stylistic thing, but I liked it a lot.

Strong emotional responce. I liked it also.

It was the first time I considered a Dragonmark could be considered a curse instead.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Psion said:
Ah. The gory halfling pic.

I still remember the "dump in my happy place" post. The perfect rebuttal. Who made that?

Wonder if I could find that again. Good times, good times.

Hey, I started that thread. I hadn't thought about it in some time. It did turn into an entertaining thread.

Wik

First Post
I'm with Mr. Colville on this one.

WotC art is definately getting better. When I saw that picture in PHB 2 (with the group in a forest valley.... stunning piece of work) I shuddered with glee. And a lot of those pictures from Cityscape are amazing.

I'm also quite big on the few pieces from herroes of horror that have background.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads