Civ 4 - Excited? [UPDATED pt.2 - Game is out & now PATCHED! Share your thoughts.]

Henry

Autoexreginated
Aw, Yeah! Alarm and a CLOCK, BABY! They've thought of everything this time around! I may not go to work with 2 hours of sleep every day after all... :)

mrtauntaun

First Post
DaveMage said:
One of the things I don't like so far, is that the number of villiages that provide freebies seemed very small on my first run-through. Also, did I understand it correctly that you are limited in the number of wonders you are permitted to build?

I hope that isn't the case...

Oh no, not the goody huts!!! Man, those are great. I hope that can be tweaked.
I hadn't heard that about wonders, that would totally suck.

Last edited:

mrtauntaun

First Post
I just finished reading the section on wonders (I brought the manual to work to read :) )
It says that you may only build 2 national wonders (like wall street) during the game, but does not mention anything about a limit on the Great Wonders (pyramids, statue of liberty) that we all love.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
mrtauntaun said:
I just finished reading the section on wonders (I brought the manual to work to read :) )
It says that you may only build 2 national wonders (like wall street) during the game, but does not mention anything about a limit on the Great Wonders (pyramids, statue of liberty) that we all love.

When I was playing, it said something like "World Wonders remaining: 1"

Edit - maybe that referred to the number available for the time period?

mrtauntaun

First Post
Hmm, that is classified as a world wonder, not a national wonder, so im not sure. I can't possibly see them as limiting you to the number of wonders, at least not to 2. But who knows. Maybe its the number of wonders stilla available to build?

I played it last night and found the game to be challenging even at the noble level (noble=normal). I found combat to be difficult against an entrenched foe and early on it is necessary to have catapults (to weaken stacks on city tiles) and spearmen (to counter chariots/mounted). I'm not a Civ veteran, so I'm getting used to it. It was frustrating to have to send axemen with City Attack against archers and have them come up short 1/2 of the time, but I didn't weaken the archers with catapults.

Building and researching stuff seems to go at a slower pace, but that's fine with me.

talinthas

First Post
missionaries are awesome fun. There are indeed a lot less goodie huts in this game, but i've built practically every wonder in my current game, so there are no limits on that at all. There are limits on how many national wonders (heroic epic, pentagon, wall street, broadway) that can be in a particular city, but nothing else.

World Wonders=1 means how many of that particular wonder can be built. It likely is there for mod-makers.

as for balance issues, the more i play, the more i notice that the game is actually very well balanced--i just didnt understand how it worked initially =)

all i know is that i've been up playing nightly from 6pm to 3-4 am =)

Remove ads