Civ 4 - Excited? [UPDATED pt.2 - Game is out & now PATCHED! Share your thoughts.]

Jupp

Explorer
John Crichton said:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/628/628695p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationiv/preview_6128088.html

While I like Civ3, I have come to the conclusion that it's not as engaging as Civ2 was. The changes were really good but they seemed to be missing a little polish. From the looks of things for Civ4 it looks like they may knock this one outta the park.

The religion concept, culture tweaking, REAL borders, elimination of pollution squares (yes!) and fully accessable world map all sound like winners. Anyone else pumped?

I am playing the Civ series now since about 13 years or so including Colonization and Railroad Tycoon. The first one was Civ1 on the Amiga and I dunno how many hours I have "wasted" by playing those games but I imagine it is a heckuvalot :) To me Civ4 is a perfect improvement over Civ2 because I never really liked the micromanagement of Civ3, which I didn't play for too long. Most games I've played have been Civ1 and 2. But now with Civ4 I can finally have pretty graphics while sending my civ down the gutter :D

Having religion in the game does change the game alot and some tactics that were valid in civ1-3 are not longer working, and the different mindsets and philosophies of the different rulers are just great to play with/against. Now you really have to adjust your strategy depending who your neighbour nation is. All in all Civ got a tad harder to beat and a fair bit more complex. You have to watch over all aspects of the game while in older versions of Civ you were able to somehow ignore those aspects you didnt like.

Overall I would give this game a rating of 9/10...I'll leave that 1 point for Civ5 since if it would be a perfect 10 there wouldnt be a next Civ ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I've had the patch for a few days now - and I have to say, it didn't do a darned thing for me, except make the wonder movies run smoothly. The game still locks up on me at unpredictable times (anywhere from 45 min. of running to two hours). I've taken to playing on small and tiny worlds, and it doesn't lock up; however, the game is nowhere near the same experience. :/ It's still fun up to the modern era, though.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Henry said:
I've had the patch for a few days now - and I have to say, it didn't do a darned thing for me, except make the wonder movies run smoothly. The game still locks up on me at unpredictable times (anywhere from 45 min. of running to two hours). I've taken to playing on small and tiny worlds, and it doesn't lock up; however, the game is nowhere near the same experience. :/ It's still fun up to the modern era, though.
Same here. Since the patch didn't address any conflicts with Nvidia drivers, I still get the BSD. It's aggrivated me enough to uninstall the game until a patch comes out that may work for me. It's a shame, when the game ran it was fun.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Question: Has anyone here had problems with the sound in the game? When I play it, all music and FX are very muted, as if running through a speaker covered in a blanket. If I take the SAME MP3's (found them in the directories) and play them with winamp or Windows Media Player, they are clear as a bell. Anyone have any ideas?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Henry said:
Question: Has anyone here had problems with the sound in the game? When I play it, all music and FX are very muted, as if running through a speaker covered in a blanket. If I take the SAME MP3's (found them in the directories) and play them with winamp or Windows Media Player, they are clear as a bell. Anyone have any ideas?
The only problem I've had with sound is that it will sometimes get a little crackle at the end of a wonder movie.

James Heard

Explorer
I've got an Intel Celeron 700Mhz, 256 RAM, GeForce FX 5200 128 meg video card running Win Media Ed. and I don't have any problems running cIV on any normal size maps, from start to finish. Huge maps make the game an exercise in patience, but only the 18 civ Earth map really makes the game unplayable. The patch sped up my gameplay some, but did something really weird to the eyes of the leaders where they've got these strange eyewhites that are kind of annoying. I don't even have much trouble playing the game at high resolutions on Small maps.

Anyways, I guess this is just a neener neener message...but I wanted to get it out that the game isn't automatically unplayable on systems that are waaaay below specs. I'm thinking that some of my lack of problems might be from having already had horrific problems with DirectX 9.0c with The Sims 2. cIV didn't even try to install DirectX on my installation, so I might have fixed a major problem months ago?

Now, if I can only kick the occasional clipping I get from Wonder movies I'll feel like an official Old Skool Stud.

Remove ads