Civ 4 - Excited? [UPDATED pt.2 - Game is out & now PATCHED! Share your thoughts.]

John Crichton

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Random question... is there an option in the game to slow down the rate of advancements -- either a toggle to do just that, or a way to require more beakers for each advancement.

I enjoy Civ the most when it's in the early Renaissance tech era, so I'd like to be able to "shut off" scientific advancement after that point (or at least drastically slow it down).
Yes, there is an option to slow the whole game down. Play a custom game and change the speed to Epic.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Still playing, but finding that my game slows down DRAMATICALLY when I've got more than 3 or 4 civs on the board in the modern era. With the whole map exposed, and all the civs of large size, my computer chugs like a fat man running uphill. Unfortunately, this means one thing:

I've got to start thinking about upgrades. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
P.S. Anyone seen the patch released yet? Last word I had was it was in QA, and due to be released sometime next week. I believe that among the other fixes, they also said something about speed improvements.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Henry said:
P.S. Anyone seen the patch released yet? Last word I had was it was in QA, and due to be released sometime next week. I believe that among the other fixes, they also said something about speed improvements.
"Soon" is the last thing I've heard. Granted "soon" has been tossed around since the week after launch, so who knows?

John Crichton

First Post
What would the patch fix?

I'd like to see the annoucements on the be a little bigger or have the option to place them somewhere else on the screen.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
John Crichton said:

I'd like to see the annoucements on the be a little bigger or have the option to place them somewhere else on the screen.
For me, I get the blue screen of death late in the game. It's a conflict with Nvidia drivers. I would like to get that fixed since I'm not playing it much now due to that.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
John Crichton said:

The issues with a gazzillion graphics cards that (theoretically) are adequate for the game, yet cause Blue Screens of Death, Crashes to Desktop, and indcredibly bogged down play on largers maps. I've had to shelve the game for the past two weeks due to the issues. When the patch comes out, I'll give it another shot. Until then, I prefer not to have my PC blow up every third turn.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Henry said:
Still playing, but finding that my game slows down DRAMATICALLY when I've got more than 3 or 4 civs on the board in the modern era. With the whole map exposed, and all the civs of large size, my computer chugs like a fat man running uphill. Unfortunately, this means one thing:

I've got to start thinking about upgrades. :)

Yeah, and when you begin to wage war in that era, it's a nightmare, and I'm running on a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 w/1 GB RAM and 128MB 9700 graphics card.

Remove ads