Civ 4 - Excited? [UPDATED pt.2 - Game is out & now PATCHED! Share your thoughts.]

mrtauntaun

First Post
Normal is just way too quick a game for me i've found out, gonna start epic tonight. And up the difficulty, I actually got bored with my first game on easy, since I was able to found every major religion and get every wonder uncontested. So I quit halfway through, and im gonna restart tonight.

John Crichton

First Post
Just shut it off after 9+ hours straight. I'll post more thoughts later but here's some quickies for now:

* I like the focus on less cities and more techs with many ways to play and customize, all the way down to the units.

* They REALLY changed how some of the city improvements and Wonders work. :eek: I raced to get the Great Lighthouse so my ships could take to the oceans and explore the world. Well, I should have read what it actually gives you first. I sat there bug-eyed for at least a minute. It was a good time to take a nacho break.

* I'm about an hour or so in and I have 2 cities pumping along, I'm scouting the rest of the continent for placement of a third. At this point I have a few workers scurrying around building the Might Russian Transcontinental Stone & Mud Road. I zoom back to my capital and I get this message: "A forest has grown near Moscow," folloed by a clump of trees engulfing an area that I was planning on developing next! I was stunned and impressed all at once. Very cool. :)

* Religion is wacky. I like the way it is used. I had a real challenge trying to isolate my civ from other civ's religion with absolutely no luck.

* And has anyone else been crushed by another civ completing a Wonder mere turns before you do? I got 300 gold, sure - but I lost hundreds of years of improvements. :(

* NO. MORE. LOST. AT. SEA.

All said, I love this game. Much better than Civ III which was cool at times but was more frustrating than Civ II. I think they got it right this time. It can be as simple or as complex as I want it to be so far. I'm honestly surprised it's *this* good. To me - Civ is back.

Graphically the game chugs at times which drives me nuts. I need to either get a new computer or finally get around to fixing my custom rig that had a HD crash earlier this year. Never thought I'd be saying that about a Civ game.

Simplicity

Explorer
John Crichton said:
* Religion is wacky. I like the way it is used. I had a real challenge trying to isolate my civ from other civ's religion with absolutely no luck.

It may have been that they were sending missionaries. Remember, you can't see them...
The best way to stop their religious spread is to close your borders... But that creates
tension as well.

* NO. MORE. LOST. AT. SEA.

I didn't realize that... I still haven't even tried the normal navies yet (I haven't gotten to play that much yet). Awesome.

Graphically the game chugs at times which drives me nuts. I need to either get a new computer or finally get around to fixing my custom rig that had a HD crash earlier this year. Never thought I'd be saying that about a Civ game.

The only part that really bothers me is the fact that at the end of turn, there's this text fade that takes a couple of seconds. It's kind of annoying, but not enough to make me not love it so far.

Simplicity

Explorer
KenM said:
I don't think I turned it off. But I have not run into any, been playing on easiest. I have run into other enemy units and took them out, but no animals/ Barb.

Easiest (Settler) is very, very easy.

The difficulty levels get hard REAL fast as you go up though supposedly.

John Crichton

First Post
Simplicity said:
It may have been that they were sending missionaries. Remember, you can't see them...
The best way to stop their religious spread is to close your borders... But that creates
tension as well.
Yeah, I knew about the missionaries. I was trying to spread my religion first but that didn't work. My cities were too far apart. :(

Simplicity said:
I didn't realize that... I still haven't even tried the normal navies yet (I haven't gotten to play that much yet). Awesome.
It's great. Although I do miss being able to risk sending a caravel to it's doom for the reward of it possibly making it to a far off continent that it will take other civs forever to reach.

Simplicity said:
The only part that really bothers me is the fact that at the end of turn, there's this text fade that takes a couple of seconds. It's kind of annoying, but not enough to make me not love it so far.
Yeah, that bugs me too. I figure a better VC should fix it.

I would also like to mention that it looked like my first map was set in what looked like a scale version of Europe. Turned out not to be the case but it was fun finding out. :) And, oh yeah, I had no trouble installing or playing on my ATI 9600 card.

John Crichton

First Post
Frukathka said:
What are the min system reqs for installation?
This was posted earlier and is correct -

Simplicity said:
MIMIMUM
# Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4- or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1,2 GHz
# 256 MB RAM
# 64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1,7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED
# Windows XP with SP1 or higher
# Intel Pentium 4- or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1,8 GHz
# 512 MB RAM
# 128-MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)
# DirectX 7 compatible soundcard
# DVD-ROM drive
# 1,7 GB free hard disk space
My system doesn meat the recommended (I have a 1.6 processor) and the game runs fine.

John Crichton

First Post
Frukathka - Cool. Have you played the earlier versions?

To all - We should set up a few multiplayer games once we're all a little more comfy. Anyone try it online yet?

Also, which version did y'all buy? I picked up the Special Edition for the Soundtrack CD and the faux-leather case (the keyboard guide is nice, too). But did anyone else get a French Tech Tree Poster? I did, but 2KGames is sending out replacements. I've already ordered mine. I was worried the that game was the French version, too. That would have been annoying because I certainly would have at least tried to play it. :)

PDF and replacement link for the French Tech Tree Poster - http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support.htm

There's also the ATI Video Card "offical fix" there.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
John Crichton said:
Frukathka - Cool. Have you played the earlier versions?
Yes. I have played 2 and Multiplayer Gold Edition. Saw 3 in action, and didn't care for it too much. The screenshots alone make 4 worth the purchase.

Remove ads