D&D 5E Clash of the Titans' Djinn as playable race?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
he wants to remove the not needing to eat, drink or breathe trait.

Why would he want to remove that? Do the Djinn in the movie eat? sleep? drink? I don't remember. I feel like if they've replaced their bodies with wood and other inorganic materials that they wouldn't need to eat/drink/breathe, but that's me.

Zardnaar

Legend
Midgard has the Djunnborn race. Kinda like Genasi and Tieflings. It's in one of the heroes books for $5.

An ugly Goliath is another option. Or earth genasi.

Jediking

Explorer
Sounds like Genasi is one of the best options, especially with their elemental/djinn lore background

For not breathing: two of the Genasi subraces have traits related to breathing (Water is Amphibious; Air has Unending Breath). This trait is a small benefit and could cause a balance issue as it can affect encounters for exploration or combat, so be aware that some spells/items (see cloudkil and some poisons) still affect creatures who do not need to breath in the poison; you will probably need to discuss this ahead of time with the player to be on the same page.
Probably not a big enough issue to worry about, and if it comes up and the player gets a freebie for the encounter that will make them feel good about choosing to play this race.

For not sleeping: Trance (see Elf race) is just a ribbon ability, so you can give them that without any issues.

For not eating: I haven't seen many people track rations, so this can probably be hand-waved without issues. If tracking rations or similar resources is a large part of your game, it may affect the challenge that you wish exploration and travel to pose to the party.

pukunui

Legend
Why would he want to remove that? Do the Djinn in the movie eat? sleep? drink? I don't remember. I feel like if they've replaced their bodies with wood and other inorganic materials that they wouldn't need to eat/drink/breathe, but that's me.
It’s unclear. Some are more human than others. Only their leader seems to be fully wooden with magic eyes. I can’t recall if any of them eat or drink.

My player said he wanted the race to feel more alive than a construct does. He referenced the part in the movie where the leader’s beating heart is visible just before he explodes as the medusa is crushing him.

That said, he’s fine with the not needing to sleep part. He wants to describe the warforged resting trait as being when his PC does his self-repair, replacing his wounded flesh with “wood and dark magic”.

So it’s just that he feels his PC ought to still need to eat, drink, and breathe.

When the guy in the movie comments that they replace their internal organs, that could just be unreliable narration! We don’t actually know, and unlike with Star Wars, there’s no visual dictionary to explain everything we see in Clash of the Titans.

@Jediking: Just to be clear, we are talking about removing those traits from the warforged chassis, not adding them to some other race. Thanks anyway, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads