• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Acts: Seeker and Infinite Damage

NMcCoy

Explorer
Storm pillar has been updated:
Compendium said:
Each enemy that moves into a square adjacent to the pillar on its turn takes 1d6 + your Intelligence modifier lightning damage. [emphasis mine]
I'm fairly certain that there is no rules weight between the terms "moves into" versus "enters" - this change was made to prevent forced-movement abuse, and in my experience there's no consistency to which sorts of powers use which wordings that would support a deliberate mechanical decision behind that choice.

...but it is a distinction established by the rules.
I don't believe this is the case. Can you provide a citation for where the rules explicitly distinguish between "moves into" and "enters"?

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
Storm pillar says each enemy that "moves" into a square, not "enters".

Force movement triggers "enters".

It's a poor distinction (which is why a lot of powers say "willingly moves"), but it is a distinction established by the rules.

Forced movement is movement - even teleportation is movement. Both teleportation and forced movement don't provoke opportunity actions - a rule that's only meaningful because they're movement.

When an enemy is forced to move into a square, he's moving into a square. When a creature teleports into a square, he's moving into a square. In both cases storm pillar would trigger - but it's not an easy trick to pull of in the creatures turn. If you or an ally have interrupts that include teleportation or forced movement, this might be a situational but valid tactic - say, a fighter with shield push, or a shielding swordmage with transposing lunge.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads