Class skill swap

drdevoid

Explorer
Stormborn said:
Except that not every fighter was in the cavalry so why would Handle Animal and Ride be class skills? What about the fighter that was trained to stand guard at the palace/temple/shrine? Why not Listen and Spot instead? ...

Heroes of Battle used a feat for this (can't recall Guerrilla something). I like the idea of themed feats that grant class skills.

Early entry to a prestige class is pretty easily addressed as long as everybody is honest. The sample characters for PrCs pretty clearly illustrate targeted entry level. Also BAB and caster level are better guidelines for entry anyway than non-maxed skill ranks.

I feel that offering the idea of cross class skills for a class with 2 skill points/level and no intelligence synergy is too high of a threshold to be a viable option often enough.

Notmousse

First Post
drdevoid said:
Heroes of Battle used a feat for this (can't recall Guerrilla something). I like the idea of themed feats that grant class skills.
It's Guerrilla Scout. What it does is give a +1 to init, and makes the cost of those two cross class skills 1 instead of two, but the regular cross class skill cap still exists.

drdevoid said:
The sample characters for PrCs pretty clearly illustrate targeted entry level.
When they get it right, that is.

I've never got over the PrC in Races of Stone where you need 3rd level spellcasting and heavy armour proficiency, and the example character was a 5th level wizard with heavy armour proficiency but not medium or light.

I also wonder whether they think about the requirements when they set them.

There's a Forgotten Realms PrC which has BAB 7 and turn undead as a requirement, and the example character is fighter 4 / cleric 4. Who in their right mind is going to play a F4/C4 and then take a prestige class that has medium BAB progression and no cleric spell progression?

Oh well, that's a rant for another thread :)

Last edited:

Ymdar

Explorer
After careful consideration and checking with my players, we decided to allow one skill swap per class. It worked for the first adventure. :cool:
Thanks for the advice, again. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Greg K said:
Skill swapping is in the core rules. It's called customizing a class (3.0 phb/p. 94 and 3.5 phb/p110)

Exactly right. I'm astonished that more people don't consider these rules. I guess that they were read once and then forgotten in most cases.

Remove ads