D&D 5E Class vs Subclass

Sacrosanct

Legend
See, I don't even try and do that. Different editions are different systems; trying to recreate a 2e character in 5e is like trying to port my World of Warcraft characters to D&D. Maybe you can do a loose adaptation, but it's like those movies that tag themselves as "inspired by a true story". A whole lot of changes got made in between the two.

Those characters had their stories, their time on stage came and went, best to move on.

I think it really depends. I was able to port my halfling fighter/thief from 1e into 5e near flawlessly. Made him a straight fighter with the urchin background and skulker and dungeon delver feats. Felt almost the exact same in game play.

Kurotowa

Legend
I think it really depends. I was able to port my halfling fighter/thief from 1e into 5e near flawlessly. Made him a straight fighter with the urchin background and skulker and dungeon delver feats. Felt almost the exact same in game play.

Yeah, sometimes it works out. And I get that some people are really attached to certain characters, to the point that they want to recreate them in multiple campaigns, even if I've never understood it. But I just don't think backwards character concept compatibility is a good metric for if 5e has too few character options or not.

Remove ads