• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classes: In and Out?

Howndawg

Explorer
What classes have been mentioned so far?

I've heard Barbarians, Clerics, Fighters, Paladins, Rangers, Rogues, Sorcerers, and Wizards. The last two were mentioned today on WotC's GenCon report. There has also been mention of a Warlord class, as to whether this is an all new class, a PrC, or a meta class which encompasses one or more of the above is currently unknown. There have been no mention of Bards, Druids, or Monks to my knowledge. There are also no plans to include a rouge class
:) (sorry, couldn't resist this one). There has also been mention that there will be less than 11 classes. Anyone else hear any tidbits?

Howndawg

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I'm surprised at that list, because I'd expect barbarians and sorcerers to be among the first to go, replaced by fighter and wizard/mage talent trees.

Someone also said that work has been done on one or more of the weaker, less commonly used classes. I'd assumed that meant bards, but I don't know now.

I'd be happy if the bard was removed as a core class, and talent trees were created for the rogue and wizard, dealing with music/inspiration and song magic, respectfully. I'd also be happy if the monk was removed, replaced with unarmed combat talents & feats for the fighter, and unarmored defense & spell talents/feats for the fighter and/or rogue. The higher level mystical abilities could be replaced by prestige classes.

I'm also curious if the way they're going to distinguish the sorcerer is with the "new power sources" thing that they've mentioned. So far only arcane, divine, and martial power sources have been mentioned, none of which are new.

Last edited:

Howndawg

Explorer
Check out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/conventions/gencon07

In the section D&D Overload by Bart Carroll, he mentions wizards and sorcerers growing apart.

I can't remember where I read the comment about Barbarians. I think it was something by Andy Collins, but don't quote me on that.

I would like to know what the Warlord is, though. My speculation is a metaclass that encompasses Paladins and Blackguards. That is purely unfounded speculation though.

Howndawg

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I was thinking Warlord was more of a commander class (though that certainly could include the paladin replacement).

I was thinking that the Sorc would be dropped, but maybe not. The Monk probably will be (though I'm sure a 4e OA is already in the works. ;) ). The Sorc is probably the "weak class" that gets more attention, since the biggest class feature of the 3e Sorc was that they didn't loose much when taking a PrC...;)

Aus_Snow

First Post
My impressions, and er, a tiny bit of speculation:

Sorcerer = something more like a Warlock
Wizard, with something like reserve feats
Cleric, with something like reserve feats
Druid, with something like reserve feats (or another thing they can do all darn day)
Fighter = something more like a Warblade(?)
Barbarian = Barbarian, with manoeuvres, stances, or whatever
Warlord = Marshal, but tougher *
Paladin = something more like a Crusader(?)
Ranger = something more like a Scout, but with some sacred cow too. yum. :D
Rogue = Rogue
Monk = something more like a Swordsage(?)
*And NO BARD

Well, it's my current predictions, plus some stuff I do "know".

RFisher

Explorer
I think in some cases Wizards people using terms like "mage" or "barbarian" doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a 4e class by that name. I think they are sometimes just trying to use class names that people are familiar with rather than the exact names of 4e classes.

I won't be surprised if when they say "barbarian", they've really been meaning either "a specific talent tree of another class" or "a 4e PC in the spirit of the 3e barbarian class".

Glyfair

Explorer
Atlatl Jones said:
I'm surprised at that list, because I'd expect barbarians and sorcerers to be among the first to go, replaced by fighter and wizard/mage talent trees.

I believe it was recently said that the sorcerer & wizard were two different classes because they didn't want 1/3 of the Player's Handbook to be support for one class.

Remove ads