Classic D&D of All Eras Back In Print

Print on Deman Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild? (I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

Print on Deman

Anyone else notice that WotC snuck a few titles up as Print-On-Demand at DMs Guild?

(I purchased three of them, both to support the initiative but also cos I cant help collecting hard copies of D&D material :) )

Converse02

Explorer
As an ebay collector, it's already having an effect on me.

A clean copy of ravenloft i10 can cost a lot on ebay, I couldn't bring myself to bid for one once I heard DTRPG can get me nice looking PoD for just $12.
With DriveThru, I also don't have the worry about things like overgrading or poor shipping you can experience on ebay.

If the colors and beauty of a DTRPG PoD book is nearly as good as the original copy, I'm going to find it hard to go back to ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If the colors and beauty of a DTRPG PoD book is nearly as good as the original copy, I'm going to find it hard to go back to ebay.

Keep in mind that it probably won't - DTRPG's site itself says that images in scanned image POD books will not be as good as books where they are printing from digital original files (I found that last night while I was poking around their website). So I suspect that if you're a collector rather than just a user of the material, you'll still want to be looking for deals on eBay and whatnot.

That said - this should drive the prices on eBay down eventually because all of the folks who don't care about it looking really good but just want the content will take themselves out of the market and drive down the demand a bit.

Not just the quality of the scanner - The scanned copy will likely be faded. Ideally, they would compose multiple scans to find a better one, but that has accuracy errors, too.

To use an analogy, even if rolling 1d10, it takes a *lot* of rolls before you really get close to 95% accuracy on the mathematical centerpoint of 5.5; especially when your max roll is 9.5. And at a certain point, buying more copies in order to have more data to feed into your algorithm to make the book look closer to original, not only means you have cut a sizable chunk out of your net profit, but also that it would be cheaper to hire an artist to touch up the cover.

Side note: At this point, the Sistine Chapel is about three or four "Axes of my Grandfather's" away from being painted by Michelangelo. The artist, not the ninja turtle. The distinction being, I think, that this is known and acknowledged information.

But I philosophize again. Your Wikipedia quest, should you chose to accept it, is to look up "Hill-climbing algorithms". This message will almost certainly not self-destruct in five seconds, although with quantum physics, we cannot rule out that one of your electrons comes from Alpha Centauri. Or Beta or Ceti Centauri. How come they never get mentioned?

dagger

Adventurer
This is good news, but I would like to see some more information about this.

dagger

Adventurer
Well just off the top of my head:

1) How deep in the catalog are they going to go? Specifically, I am interested in FR box sets.
2) Also, how often are they going to add new stuff and is it just random, or planned?
3) Are we going to get some better previews of what the final product is like when its printed?

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
They just added some more PoD products, along with the weekly update. So i guess we are going to have more PoD products every week

They just added some more PoD products, along with the weekly update. So i guess we are going to have more PoD products every week
The weekly update was also 8 .pdfs instead of the usual 4, and 6 PoD. I hope that is a long-term acceleration of the schedule - According to the Google document on RPG.net, completion will take 2 years, 4 months at their usual rate of 4 .pdfs per week.

mangamuscle

Explorer
This week they added:

Ravenloft (3.0)
Hammerfast: A Dwarven Outpost Adventure Site (4e)
Four From Cormyr (2e)
FMA2: Endless Armies (2e)
Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow (3.5)

dagger

Adventurer
The weekly update was also 8 .pdfs instead of the usual 4, and 6 PoD. I hope that is a long-term acceleration of the schedule - According to the Google document on RPG.net, completion will take 2 years, 4 months at their usual rate of 4 .pdfs per week.

Can I get to that on rpg.net? Thank you

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads