• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

TeaBee

First Post
Erik Mona said:
When you and your friends talk about Dragon Magazine, what articles do you always mention? Which, from any period in the magazine's history, stand out as "classics" to you?
The Bestiary
Campaign Corner
Class Acts
Faiths of Faerun
Living Greyhawk Journal (all the sub-articles)
Rogues Gallery

Last edited:

NeghVar

First Post
The Beastiary
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Critical Hits

Also - The Missing Dragons - Orange, Yellow, and Purple (would love to see an update)

Thanks!

S'mon

Legend
Grazzt said:
- - "The Politics of Hell" by Alexander Von Thorn (great name for a great article)

I agree with that one. The article I still think about most was "The Highs & Lows of Fantasy" (in the 140s I think). I enjoyed most of the Princess Ark series.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I apologize if I wind up repeating a lot of stuff that has already been mentioned, but then again, I hope it adds weight to the stuff that's come up before.

* Elemental Gods

* The Missing Dragons--Orange, Yellow, & Purple

* The Gem Dragons article (esp. mentioning their singular god-like dragon, the Ruby Dragon, IIRC)

* Guild of the Black Hand (August 1990 issue)

* The Last Call Inn (also from August 1990 issue)

* Roger Moore's articles on demi-human cultures & deities.

* The "Good Hits, Bad Misses" article/tables.

* The Winter Elves

* Giants in the Earth: esp. the Nodwick one, Beowulf one, & Ged/Sparrowhawk one

* Voyage of the Princess Ark, esp. ones which introduced new class options for OD&D (like the bard & half-elves)

* SnarfQuest

* What's New!

* Dragon Mirth (liked a lot of the Joe Pillsbury comics from that section)

* An article on the "other metallic dragons"--mentioned ones such as the iron dragon & vanadium dragon, IIRC

* (yet another) Article on dragons that introduced the Raindow Dragon & Gray Dragon (IIRC, also had the Cobra Dragon)

* An article that covered different materials for constructing arms & armor (back when the type of material used dictated how high of a magical bonus armor or a weapon could have)

And for some non-D&D ones (i.e., honorable mention):

* The Marvel Phile!

* The Eye of the Monitor series (IIRC)--basically reviewed various computer games, & the back part of the article was a Hints section submitted by readers (Man, did that ever help me with a couple of Ultima games)

Felon

First Post
When I think of old Dragon articles, a lot of truly outrageous stuff comes to mind, like OTT character classes that had 4 or 5 pages worth of class features. Anyone else remember the ninja or the jester? Those authors didn't think for a second that they should be trimmed down to resemble something reasonable. But then again, why should they have? Everyone knew they were strictly for NPC's only.....

Riiiiight! ;)

Probably the one article that I always wanted to dig up was from back in 1989. It was an article on little-known 0-level spells, like "Find Earth" (which causes the caster to immediately fall down face-first and take 1d4 points of damage) and "Fiery Breath" (with a material component consisting of jalapeno pepper). They were pretty hilarious. Wish I could remember them all.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
The article on keeping modern morality out of D&D.

Old ecologies

Creature Collections

Articles on other RPGs. Dragon was a hell of a better place for these than Dungeon :mad:

Last edited:

Daffyd

First Post
I got Dragon from about #71 to #130+

The Tom Wham game 'King of the Table Top'. I cut and pasted most of the games but that one I played over and over with my brothers and wore the counters out. :)

One very good short story where a girl was playing in an online dungeon/labyrinth. This was a years before the advent of the internet.

The combat calculator. Glued it to cardboard, covered it with clear contact. I never looked at the combat tables in the DMG, always used this. A bit late to ask now but: how officially accurate was it? :eek:

And the ecology of articles.

Now I'm going to look up all those old issues. ;)

Wippit Guud

First Post
I thought someone would've already said "The Whole Half-Ogre" by now...

Gem Dragons

"A Different Bard, Not Quite so Hard" cause I hated the 3 class thing you had to go through.

Anti-Paladin... and wasn't there an article with a paladin for each alignment?

"The Worthless Character"

Forget the name of the article, but it featured toothpicks of lightning, the onyx ball, the staff ON striking.

Last edited:

Remove ads