• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

Erik Mona

Adventurer
When you and your friends talk about Dragon Magazine, what articles do you always mention? Which, from any period in the magazine's history, stand out as "classics" to you?

For myself, I'd list Ed Greenwood's overview of the Nine Hells (way back in 1st edition days) and the critical hit article "Good Hits and Bad Misses" as articles I'll remember forever, if not use immediately in my game. Others, like Len Lakofka's "Suel Pantheon" series go on my list because they're of historical interest to Greyhawk fans like myself.

What are your favorites? Your input will really help me for a top secret project I'm working on.

Thanks!

Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

Glyfair

Explorer
I'll start with two that might not be what you are looking for.

The old "Giants in the Earth" series regularly gets mentioned. Unfortunately, I don't think it could exist today, in that format (the most recent incarnation was a pale shadow of the original).

Fictionwise, the Niall of the Far Travels series stands out. Indeed, it is probably the only fiction in (the) Dragon that I read regularly.

The Nine Hells article definitely stands out. Many of the articles that would stand out don't seem to innovative now, because they worked their way into the core D&D system (non-human deities, certain classes). The original "Anti-Paladin" article got a lot of reaction for years after it appeared, even though that wasn't our style of game.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
When you and your friends talk about Dragon Magazine, what articles do you always mention? Which, from any period in the magazine's history, stand out as "classics" to you?

Roger Moore's articles on the various demi-human races (elves, halflings, etc.) practically defined the cultures of these races.

Anything that added to the official canon in the early days was a welcome sight. Examples: new illusionist spells, the thief-acrobat, etc.

Before there was a Dungeon Adventures, any issue that had a module in it was pretty special. :)

Ed Greenwood did at least one article on worldbuilding before FR was a published setting. You mentioned his Hells articles; very memorable indeed!

I'll never forget Tom Wham's "File 13" boardgame. The names of the fake games were hilarious!

Olive

Explorer
My friends and I don't talk about Dragon articles, but the one I always hear about and want to read is the Nine Hells article you mention.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I agree that the Hells articles and Roger Moore's Viewpoint articles were very good and very memorable. My personal top three and other favorites include:

Top three:

My favorite Dragon issue of all time is 114, with the Witch NPC class.

Second favorite would have to be 148 with the Deck of Many Things insert (wasn't this in a Dungeon too?).

Our group really loved the comparatively recent issue (267 I think) with the avolakian, nerephtys, and ulgurstasta monsters. We had a great NPC avolakia lawyer, Slinkmor Vorshannen. Avolakia make great scheming shysters.

Others of note:

Gary Gygax's article "Let's Start Pushing the Pendulum the Other Way" from issue 100. Going on memory here, but I think that was the title and the issue.

The Nogard special insert that ran in one April issue. It had the Hopeless character class and the Random Damage table, which were both hilarious.

The adventures were all special and memorable, in particular the London museum adventure.

The Voyage of the Princess Ark series was neat and inspired a lot of ideas.

GreyShadow

Explorer
Ed's Nine Hells articles.
The Voyage of the Princess Ark series
The psionics issue with the Deryni
The older Ecology articles.

Richards

Legend
I always loved the "Ecology" articles, even before I started contributing to them myself.

Oh, and of course the "Tucker's kobolds" editorial.

Johnathan

Grazzt

Demon Lord
- The Creature Feature articles from way, way back in the early issues.

- "Good Hits, Bad Misses"

- The Anti-Paladin article

- Len Lakofka's "Leomund's Tiny Hut" column, esp. the Deathmaster, Cloistered Cleric

- The Nine Hells stuff from #75, #76

- "The Politics of Hell" by Alexander Von Thorn (great name for a great article)

Remove ads