Classic Graphic Novels

Klaus

First Post
Macbeth said:
My faves (including stuff you already have, just for completeness):

V For Vendetta
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Vol 1 and 2)
Watchmen
Top 10
Kingdom Come
Planetary: All Over the World
Planetary: the Forth Man
The Authority (The first two Collections, after that it went downhill)
Sandman
JLA (The most recent series, up through around issue 50, i.e. up through the World War III storyline)
Ex Machina
Stormwatch (The last 2 or 3 collections)
Dark Knight Strikes Again

I cannot say enough about Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Have to be my favorite graphic novels of all time.

And I still haven't read Maus, which makes me sad. I really need to read that.
Did you really list DK2? Or do you mean Dark Knight Returns (the original)?

Cthulhu's Librarian -> The Great Darkness Saga is a very cool story, as epic as they come! I liked it a lot when it came out in the mid-80s.

Macbeth

First Post
I listed DK2. I actually liked it, to some degree. Worth having, at any rate. I had no idea this would be such a travesty.

The overly political story was a bit much, but overall it was interesting.

Rackhir

Explorer
Defintely "V For Vendetta" I think I actually like it better than Watchmen.

The Authority is very good, especially if you are tired of the "Gosh, even though the Joker's just killed 5 million people, we have to send him to the insane asylum." sort of super hero comics.

The Miracle Man collections from Alan Moore are worth having.

Appleseed is a manga collection of work by Masamune Shirow. Not really superhero, there is a ton of really cool mecha and other designs.

Kilmore

First Post
Battle Angel by Yukito Kishiro kicks total arse. James "Titanic" Cameron is dropping 200 megabucks to film a live action version, and I cannot think of a manga that more deserves the treatment.

Krug

Newshound
Mistwell said:
Yes. Dark Horse republished the entire series in english, in the original formatting size. Beatiful books.

They are also currently publishing the Lone Wolf and Cub spin-off Samurai Executioner (I think they are on issue 5 right now).

I highly support both series.

I don't enjoy Samurai Executioner as much. Too formal and the story just doesn't have the epic feel of LW & Cub, nor are the characters as intriguing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Krug said:
I don't enjoy Samurai Executioner as much. Too formal and the story just doesn't have the epic feel of LW & Cub, nor are the characters as intriguing.

I've only read issue one so far. But really, I'd buy them just for the art. The way he tells his story, in that silent image-driven way sometimes, is really compelling to me.

Rackhir said:
The Authority is very good, especially if you are tired of the "Gosh, even though the Joker's just killed 5 million people, we have to send him to the insane asylum." sort of super hero comics.

Yep, I've read the first two volumes of that.

Rackhir said:
The Miracle Man collections from Alan Moore are worth having.

If I could afford what they are going for, I'd pick them up. But I refuse to pay $100+ per volume on the aftermarket. Now that the lawsuit over the ownership of Miracle Man is finished, they will hopefully be coming back into print soon.

Remove ads