Classic Graphic Novels

Rackhir

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
If I could afford what they are going for, I'd pick them up. But I refuse to pay $100+ per volume on the aftermarket. Now that the lawsuit over the ownership of Miracle Man is finished, they will hopefully be coming back into print soon.

YEOUTCH! I wasn't aware of that. I didn't really think much of Transmetropolitain either frankly.

I'd forgotten about it, but I also kind of figured someone would have mentioned it.

Astro City by Kurt Busiek

These are very good. I particularly liked the one with "Superman" AKA The Samaritan, where he measures how good a day is by the amount of time he gets to fly. However since he's basically always rushing from one disaster to the next, his total flight time for the day is measured in seconds. Because if he took any time to enjoy himself, someone would die as a result. I thought it was a good look at some of the implications of someone having Superman's powers. His stories seem to be particularly good at bringing out the human side of people doing the Superhero thing.

They have a fairly amusing web site for it as well

http://www.astrocity.us/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Atch! Of course how could I forget

The TICK!

http://www.newenglandcomics.com/cgi...ANZA3&database=tick.csv&template=results1.htm
http://www.newenglandcomics.com/cgi...30011&database=tick.csv&template=results1.htm

MonsterMash

First Post
Macbeth said:
My faves (including stuff you already have, just for completeness):
I cannot say enough about Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Have to be my favorite graphic novels of all time.
I'm not really a comics fan, but I liked V for Vendetta from when it was originally published in the UK in a comic book with some other stories - the name escapes me at the moment. Through the power of google I find out it was called Warrior

kitoy

Explorer
I absolutely agree with the Astro City recommendation. Those books are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. My favorite is the Confessor series, told through the point of view of the Confessor's unfortunately named sidekick, Altar Boy. The Wizard 1/2 issue of Astro City, about a man who dreams about a wife he may or may not have had was one of the best single issues I've ever read of a comic book ever. Period.

The Golden Age by James Robinson with art by Paul Smith is a classic in my book. Starring almost every DC character from the Golden Age of comics, from Green Lantern to the Red Bee, it's a look at DC's heroes in the years after WWII up to the very early '50s. This mini-series is the foundation and starting point for the revival of Golden Age characters going on at DC to this day. Books like Robinson's own Starman to JSA and Hawkman can be traced to The Golden Age.

Following in that vein, I think the entire run of Starman by James Robinson is available as graphic novels. I personally think that it's one of the most well thought out, well written super hero series ever written. What's unusual about it is that it follows the story of one hero, Jack Knight, son of the original Starman Ted Knight, from beginning to end. Along the way, it touches on, literally, every single other hero to ever bear the name of Starman in the DC Universe. I really love this series and I think most of you out there will too.

Sandman Mystery Theater by Matt Wagner, the mastermind behind Grendel and Mage. This is another book set in the Golden Age, focusing on the first Sandman, Wesley Dodds. It's atmospheric, sometimes creepy, and always well written. I think the first two or three arcs of the series are available in graphic novel, but the whole thing is worth picking up in back issues. It really captures a 1930's pulp fiction fell and spins it with a 90's flair. The series starts out focusing strictly on mystery men and "everyday" criminals like serial killers, child molesters and gangsters. As the series progresses, though, Wagner gradually introduces more and more Golden Age "super hero" elements, with visits from Starman, Hourman, the Specter and others either before they gain their powers, or just as they are first discovering them. Again, this is really good stuff.

Also, I don't think I've seen anyone mention Marvels or Kingdom Come. Those two should speak for themselves, do I really need to go into fanboy-worship mode for the artwork of Alex Ross?

Macbeth

First Post
NOt a grpahic novel, but a single one-shot that's great: Tales from the Bully Pulpit. A time traveling Teddy Roosevelt meets up with the ghost of Thoman Edison, and they set off in a stolen time machine, to great comic effect. Even better if you get all the in-jokes about other ocmics, but funny no matter what.

Rackhir

Explorer
kitoy said:
Sandman Mystery Theater by Matt Wagner, the mastermind behind Grendel and Mage.

That reminds me both Grendel and Mage are very good. Grendel is much more of a saga, since there's about 10-15 graphic novels in the series. The best are the first one (may be part of GNs for the original Mage series, since they were a back up tale) and the second one with art by the Pander Bros. Others according to your tastes.

Welverin

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I like Bone, I'm actually picking up the color editions as they come out (only the first so far). I've debated getting the complete volume, but I rather like the colored ones, so may just stick with them, as I've read most of the series anyway.

I ordered vol 2 from Amazon a while back and it ship on the 16th, so you can pick it up now.

If you've read most of the series already and prefer the color versions you might as well wait. Just be aware that it will be a while before the last one comes out (two a year and nine total).

Don't forget Rose and Stupid Stupid Rat Tails, The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone. Rose was painted originally and there's no knowing if SSRT will get the color treatment.

On a related note, there is a Bone PC game being developed.

Are any of these must haves?

Infinity Gauntlet
Daredevil: Yellow

These two I liked.

Look for a copy of Thanos Quest, it was a two issue lead in to IG and a compiled version was released a few years back that is cheaper than the original version, still not all that easy to find though. THe follow ups might be worth reading, but not buying. I do generally enjoy any Starlin Thanos story so I would recommend the first six issues or so of Thanos from last year along with Marvel the End.

Loeb and Sale also made Spider-man Blue and Hulk Grey, which are in a similar vein. They also collaborated on some Batman projects.

The others I can't comment on.

Finally since it's been mentioned a few times now, was anyone else disappointe with Watchmen?

Endur

First Post
Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga

Definitely get this one. I can't say why without major spoilage, but its one of the best stories period.

Also, try to get ... the Kirby's Fourth World books from the early 70's. Mr. Miracle, New Gods, Forever People, and the Hunger Dogs conclusion (written in the 80s).

Beyond that, early 80's Teen Titans (The Terra Contract, Trigon the Terrible) and the Legion of Superheroes around 1985 are excellent.

Endur said:
Also, try to get ... the Kirby's Fourth World books from the early 70's. Mr. Miracle, New Gods, Forever People, and the Hunger Dogs conclusion (written in the 80s).

Saw 2 of those in the used book shop this morning, when I dropped a bunch of stuff off for credit. Guess I'll be going back to use some of that credit soon. :)

Remove ads