• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classless/Point Buy d20?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Wow, I hadn't heard about this at all before casually glancing at this thread, but now I'm quite excited regarding Exp20!

I've explored that, but monsters and the CR system is so ad hoc that it is tough. Not impossible, but the rules are so wide that they are only slightly helpful. But more conversation along this route is certainly possible.

The hard part isn't so much the CR system, but that monster abilities need to be refined in terms of what level adjustment they're worth. That's largely a separate concern from CR.

Angellis_ater

First Post
First of all, thank you to NLF for coming here and participating in the discussion. There are ongoing discussions on the DSP boards for creating a 3.5 compatible system using a "point build" concept for the entire game, while also making sure to "fix" some of the problems most people seem to agree are inherent in 3.5 - right now its at the idea stage, but feel free to throw ideas in there with the mix! :D

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Wow, I hadn't heard about this at all before casually glancing at this thread, but now I'm quite excited regarding Exp20!

Excellent! I've used the system for a while now and I like how it builds characters. Obviously - as I've been sure to mention above - it will play with the relative "power level" because characters are designed exactly how a player wants them. But so long as everyone understands that, I like how the system comes together fluently. And since the DM can use the system for classed monsters/villians, it adds a new dimension of making antagonists with surprising twists, too.

The hard part isn't so much the CR system, but that monster abilities need to be refined in terms of what level adjustment they're worth. That's largely a separate concern from CR.

I guess that's what I meant. Not that the CR system is ad hoc, but that different monster abilities are hard to judge in terms of power and how they combine.

First of all, thank you to NLF for coming here and participating in the discussion. There are ongoing discussions on the DSP boards for creating a 3.5 compatible system using a "point build" concept for the entire game, while also making sure to "fix" some of the problems most people seem to agree are inherent in 3.5 - right now its at the idea stage, but feel free to throw ideas in there with the mix! :D

Welcome! And anyone wanting to add to the conversation is certainly welcome!

QuaziquestGM

First Post
does anyone know the filename for "Buy the Numbers"? the name of the zip or pdf? I'm sure I've downloaded it before but I can't find it so I need the name to do a search of my drives for it.

does anyone know the filename for "Buy the Numbers"? the name of the zip or pdf? I'm sure I've downloaded it before but I can't find it so I need the name to do a search of my drives for it.

Generally they name their files using the Publisher Stock number. So in the case of Buy The Numbers I think it'd be: STC101. I use an entirely different scheme for keeping track of my pdfs, but that does sound right.

Aus_Snow

First Post
still not finding it. Any other sugestions?
Go to RPGNow.com and use another of your downloads*. You get 5, I think. And even after that, if you email them, they'll probably let you dl again. So there really shouldn't be a problem, I guess. :)

* And keep your files in order this time around. ;)

markkat

First Post
I had to chime in, as a point buy/classless d20 system is exactly what we at the Ye Olde Gaming Companye just did with Wayfarers. It's not a 3.5 feel, however. Something like a 1.5? But a d20 point buy/classless system it is. -In it's entirety.

The PDF is free, so no pain.

We haven't made much noise yet. But I couldn't pass up this thread. My 2nd post in 3 years! :)

Cheers.

Tetsubo

First Post
I had to chime in, as a point buy/classless d20 system is exactly what we at the Ye Olde Gaming Companye just did with Wayfarers. It's not a 3.5 feel, however. Something like a 1.5? But a d20 point buy/classless system it is. -In it's entirety.

The PDF is free, so no pain.

We haven't made much noise yet. But I couldn't pass up this thread. My 2nd post in 3 years! :)

Cheers.

Very cool, thank you. When I can budget it I will pick up a dead tree version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads