D&D (2024) Cleave with polearm master is awesome

deadman1204

Explorer
I call it confusing. How does one cleave with a spear?

Or, what if the first hit isn't a kill? Is that opponent still cloven?
Like many things in 5e, the ability has no relation to the past. You cleave when you hit something now, not kill it.
In that sense, polearms make sense for cleaving. You have HUGE long stick so can hit many people.
Theres a reason that throughout history, spears were ALWAYS more popular than swords. Only hollywood and fantasy art changed that.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
In that sense, polearms make sense for cleaving. You have HUGE long stick so can hit many people.
I would call that "successive attacks," not "to split with a sharp instrument."

I think polearms lose their gusto when you strike one target with the intent of hitting another. Unless, of course, the second target is directly behind your first, and you have a lot of momentum.

Horwath

Legend

I think polearms lose their gusto when you strike one target with the intent of hitting another. Unless, of course, the second target is directly behind your first, and you have a lot of momentum.
hmm, idea for another mastery:

Pierce.
Requires Piercing Reach weapon.

when you attack a target with your Reach weapon, you can attack another target directly behind that target if it's in your reach.

All hail bugbears with lunge maneuver!

deadman1204

Explorer

I totally agree with you, but 5.5 says cleave means hit someone after you hit someone else, nothing to do with killing them. I Agree that it makes literally zero sense, but thats how 5th ed works. Simplify the table even if it loses touch with reality and physics.

Remove ads