D&D 5E Cleric Houserules

NotAYakk

Legend
Armor of Faith (alternative class feature. Replaces Armor proficiency of both the Cleric and Domain)
When openly wielding a symbol of your domain or god and not wearing armor or a shield, you can choose to calculate your AC as 10+Charisma+Wisdom.

Clerics whose domain normally grants Heavy Armor proficiency who wield a holy symbol in one hand gain an additional +2 AC.

Note I removed Dex. You must let your faith protect you; no dodging!

Undrave

Legend
Edited.

I've posted about this before, but I think WotC really dropped the ball in the way they baked combat vs spellcasting options into domain choice rather than making it independent and by not emphasizing it enough in the way they designed the cleric in 5e. There's a clear "charismatic man of the cloth" archetype gap continuing from previous editions when it could have easily been designed into the 5e cleric.

I wrote some houserules to address this and wanted to start up some discussion about it. The gist of it is that the choice of features basically gives you a choice between being a strength-secondary cleric or a charisma-secondary cleric in a way that represents layered options instead of base changes to the class. I feel charisma is under-emphasized for clerics in the core rules so this is a two-birds-with-one-stone approach for me.

Faith Armor
Many clerics avoid the front lines and are not accustomed to physical combat. These clerics may eschew armor in place of ceremonial vestments and trusting their faith or deity for protection.

Clerics that do not gain heavy armor proficiency at 1st level based on their domain selection instead get this ability. When not wearing armor and not using a shield, your AC is 10 + Dexterity modifier + Charisma modifier. Visibly wearing or holding a holy symbol grants an additional +1 AC.

Channel Divinity - Renewal
All clerics gain Channel Divinity - Renewal at 2nd level.

You can use your Channel Divinity to swap out a prepared spell for a different one and regain one spell slot in the process. This can only be done once per day. The maximum spell level is equal to 1/2 your current spell level. So, if you are able to cast 4th level spells, you can do this with a spell of 2nd level or lower.

Domain Options
The Life, Light, and Nature domains are versatile and provide feature options. At 1st and 8th levels, the player can choose either Faith Armor and Potent Spellcasting (Castigate) respectively, or Heavy Armor Proficiency and Divine Strike.

Potent Spellcasting
This is renamed to Castigate. You add your charisma bonus instead of your wisdom bonus to cantrips. Currently, Potent Spellcasting is considered superior to Divine Strike. This is a slight nerf that brings it more in line with Divine Strike and helps ensure balance between melee-oriented clerics and laser-clerics.

I feel like the Cleric should have been a mix-and-match class like the Warlock, with Domains replacing the Patron and your... I dunno 'Congregation' maybe? Replacing Pact Magic and informing your favoured Fighting style.

Or, just split the old school mace swinging Cleric and the Divine Laser Caster apart and create the Cleric and Invoker classes.

In 4e I liked my STR/CHA cleric but support for it quickly dropped. It's a bit understandable since it kinda stepped on the Paladin's thematic toes but its mechanics were fun.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Armor of Faith (alternative class feature. Replaces Armor proficiency of both the Cleric and Domain)
When openly wielding a symbol of your domain or god and not wearing armor or a shield, you can choose to calculate your AC as 10+Charisma+Wisdom.

Clerics whose domain normally grants Heavy Armor proficiency who wield a holy symbol in one hand gain an additional +2 AC.

Note I removed Dex. You must let your faith protect you; no dodging!
What happened to "the gods help those who help themselves"? Seems like DEX should still be included. ;)

Einlanzer0

Explorer
I feel like the Cleric should have been a mix-and-match class like the Warlock, with Domains replacing the Patron and your... I dunno 'Congregation' maybe? Replacing Pact Magic and informing your favoured Fighting style.

Or, just split the old school mace swinging Cleric and the Divine Laser Caster apart and create the Cleric and Invoker classes.

In 4e I liked my STR/CHA cleric but support for it quickly dropped. It's a bit understandable since it kinda stepped on the Paladin's thematic toes but its mechanics were fun.

Yeah I pretty much agree, which is why I said they dropped the ball.

Clerics are pretty much the only class that seems locked into a very specific design philosophy with their subclasses - in large part as a result of the way the core class was misdesigned. Domain choices should have been a core feature incorporated into their base spellcasting system instead of being used for their subclass archetypes.

In essence - Domain should have been a 1st level choice that granted bonus spells and an extra use for Channel Divinity at 2nd level. That's it. Then the subclass space could have been opened up to fill way more concepts.

The truth is I think the cleric is second only to the Ranger in terms of needing a total overhaul from the ground up. They just don't get as much attention as Rangers because they're more powerful. In fact, the more I think about this the more I think I just need to create a whole custom cleric class that goes in a totally different direction from the PHB cleric.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
The truth is I think the cleric is second only to the Ranger in terms of needing a total overhaul from the ground up. They just don't get as much attention as Rangers because they're more powerful. In fact, the more I think about this the more I think I just need to create a whole custom cleric class that goes in a totally different direction from the PHB cleric.
Obviously the class should be called the Priest.

It can have a Cleric subclass that replicates ... the Cleric.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend

I agree with you. The Cleric WORKS (unlike the Ranger), but its feel is... off. The melee option always ends up inferior to Cantrips at some point and the Cleric often feels more like a Wizard with Radiant damage than a proper Divine Leader character until the ONE round they drop a heal or a maybe a Bless. And don't get me started on the janky Trickery build.

There's no way to build a Cleric that feels consistently like a support character the same way you can with a Bard with Vicious Mockery and Bardic Inspiration.

Obviously the class should be called the Priest.

It can have a Cleric subclass that replicates ... the Cleric.

And a laser-y Invoker class.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I had actually started work on splitting the cleric into subclasses independent of their domain. I had crusader (melee) and priest (caster) splitting the base cleric and a couple of others shaman and rune-priest. I should look up the work again and see how far I got with it.

Einlanzer0

Explorer
I had actually started work on splitting the cleric into subclasses independent of their domain. I had crusader (melee) and priest (caster) splitting the base cleric and a couple of others shaman and rune-priest. I should look up the work again and see how far I got with it.

I'd be happy to collaborate with you on it. I honestly feel this is needed. There are all kinds of concepts that would make great cleric subclasses if you untied them from domains and instead made them a core feature - oracle, archivist, prophet, crusader, apostle of peace, blessed chanter, etc. The list goes on.

Which is why making domains their subclass options instead of just standard options was a bad idea.

Remove ads