D&D 5E Clerics and armor

Aenghus

Explorer
I prefer strong classes that actually mean something, so saying your PC is X gives a fair idea of what they can do, and highly variable cleric classes really mess with this principle.

I prefer for non-standard priest concepts to be represented by the closest class to the concept, which may not necessarily be "cleric", with some added priest flavour or abilities through backgrounds, multiclassing etc.

Old speciality clerics and priests were a balance nightmare, with a whole bunch of substandard kits and subclasses, and a few overpowered ones.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yeah, I really dig the Priest background, and think it helps bring a lot to defining what the Cleric is, perhaps surprisingly. The Priest background means that the Cleric is now freed of the day-to-day responsibilities of religion and services, etc. That's *not* the cleric's job any more, which means that the cleric is free to be re-iimagined.

Conversely, I really like the idea of the party rogue marrying a couple when the adventure brings them to a town, because he's a Priest and is passing through. That's a rogue I'd really like to play!

Remove ads