D&D 5E Climbing a tower rules 5e

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
(Emphasis added.) This appears to be another philosophical difference between us.

For me, if someone reads the text differently than I thought it could be, I now have evidence that it can be read more ways than I thought. Since the definition of "ambiguous" is: "that can be understood in more than one way; having different meanings" (Oxford American) the text must, by definition, be more ambiguous than I originally thought.

From the bolded section of your post, however, it sounds like, if someone reads the text differently than you thought it could be, you interpret that as evidence that they must be basing their interpretation on something other than the plain text. Is that correct?
Not necessarily. I’m open to the possibility that someone could arrive at a different interpretation than me from a plain reading of the text alone. I’m just saying I can’t easily see how they would do so in this instance. That’s probably on me though.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Not necessarily. I’m open to the possibility that someone could arrive at a different interpretation than me from a plain reading of the text alone. I’m just saying I can’t easily see how they would do so in this instance. That’s probably on me though.
Thanks for clarifying!

clearstream

(He, Him)
This is an interesting stance in light of your position on hiding in the other thread (which for the record, I agree with - if I understand it correctly)
Currently I try to see how the other reading could stand, rather than assuming it is incorrect. In the hiding case, it seems like the other reading requires interpreting the text a certain way and then ignoring aspects of that very interpretation. I suppose that one can still apply the demands of logical coherence to a reading, even while conceding every chance of ambiguity.

clearstream

(He, Him)

Other Dexterity Checks​

The DM might call for a Dexterity check when you try to accomplish tasks like the following:
  • Control a heavily laden cart on a steep descent
  • Steer a chariot around a tight turn
  • Pick a lock
  • Disable a trap
  • Securely tie up a prisoner
  • Wriggle free of bonds
  • Play a stringed instrument
  • Craft a small or detailed object
Is this list of examples categorical, or delimiting?

Remove ads