• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Climbing and run actions

Ashtagon

Adventurer
According to the SRD, climbing is a move action that allows you to climb up to half your move rate.

You are allowed to use your standard action to take a move action instead, so in theory you coudl make two Climb checks in a round (once for your mvoe action, once for your standard action), and move up to your full move rate in that one round.

However, under the special section, it notes that you cannot take a run action when climbing. Part of me is thinking "well of course not, your dangling from your arms and your feet aren't touching anything". But part of me thinks, "is that a specific exclusion to stop you from spending two move actions in one round climbing?".

Dandu

First Post
Running isn't using two move actions, it's using a full round action to move four times your speed in a straight line.

Jimlock

Adventurer
A creature with 30 ft of movement can take two move actions to travel (hustle) 60ft in one round. if he decides to run (full-round action) that goes up to 90 ft (x3) and 120 ft (x4).

Since you cannot run while climbing you can either use one or two move actions to do so.
Using two, you travel up to 15ft. (60/4) per round. (So you don't actually get to move up to your full move rate as you mentioned)
Using one, you climb 5ft in the 1st round, 10ft in the second round, 5ft in the 3rd and so on...

Ashtagon

Adventurer
ok, I stand corrected, Climb is a move action (move action is specifically stated under the Action header of Climb) that lets you travel up to 1/4 you speed along a wall.

I still see nothing to stop you spending both your move and standard actions climbing, requiring two checks and moving half your speed total (if both checks succeed).

In theory, you could use accelerated climbing on both checks (taking a -5 penalty on each check), and assuming both checks succeed, move your full movement rate along a wall (30 ft for a typical human) in that one round.

Am I right?

Jimlock

Adventurer
ok, I stand corrected, Climb is a move action (move action is specifically stated under the Action header of Climb) that lets you travel up to 1/4 you speed along a wall.

I still see nothing to stop you spending both your move and standard actions climbing, requiring two checks and moving half your speed total (if both checks succeed).

In theory, you could use accelerated climbing on both checks (taking a -5 penalty on each check), and assuming both checks succeed, move your full movement rate along a wall (30 ft for a typical human) in that one round.

Am I right?

Right.

Minor detail: Even though you manage to climb 30ft in a single round doesn't mean you "move at your full movement rate". You' re still moving at half. Full means 60ft. hustling on the ground.

Just saying...:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads