"Clone Wars" Series - I've Heard It's Good?

Retreater

Legend
I've been a Star Wars fan since the original films came out in theaters. I devoured most of the Expanded Universe (now "Legends") offerings in the following years. However, I didn't like the prequel trilogy for various reasons. The Mandalorian has brought some of my love for the series back, and I keep hearing from friends and family that I need to watch the Clone Wars series. I've been hesitant to do so because of the following reasons:

1) I tend to dislike animated series unless they're comedies (Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, etc.); have never been able to get into anime series
2) I strongly dislike all the prequel movies
3) Starting at the beginning, I found the series boring, speaking in gibberish about the planet of the week. I couldn't get invested in stuff that all just sounded like nonsense
4) I also tend to not like military "booyah" type stories

Is there any storyline I should watch, recommended episodes? I'd like to give it one last try.

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably skip to season 2. Season one is a bit spotty. If you still don't like it eh it may not be for you.

The Darth Maul stuff is interesting along with Asajj Ventress.

opacitizen

Explorer
As a sidenote, have you tried Star Wars: Rebels? I liked it way more than Clone Wars. Much closer to the original trilogy in tone and feel.

Zardnaar

Legend
As a sidenote, have you tried Star Wars: Rebels? I liked it way more than Clone Wars. Much closer to the original trilogy in tone and feel.

Rebels is a lot more consistent start to finish than clone wars imho. Season 2 and 4 of rebels and 5 and 7 of Clone Wars maybe the best.

Best episodes of Clone Wars might beat Rebels but overall I prefer Rebels.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I only watched due to my child begging me. At first, like some others I was a bit bored. I am not into cartoons as a rule.

I started from the start and watched about 3 episodes at a time.

I found it to ultimately be rewarding after all was said and done. It was good to see the actual clone wars vs. a few set piece battles in the movies.

Was every episode thrilling? No. But I grew to like the clones and the end of the series was cool. I feel more steeped in Star Wars now.

Had my child not been wanting to share it with me, I never would have done it. But it ended up being interesting.

I prefer Clone Wars over Rebels howver I agree its a particular taste

Why I watch
Clone
1) Lore
2) what happened to certain characters that only appeared briefly in the movies (certain jedi)
3) some of the action scenes such as jedi battles are fun to watch

Rebels
1) Tom Baker makes an appearance
2) interesting characters that tie both shows together. If you liked Clone Wars then you will appreciate the crossover later in series

The shows are better than 90% of the books that came out for the Clone Wars. The books added nothing as characters couldn't be killed off . No longer true for the shows

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
One thing to keep in mind about the Clone Wars animated series is that the episodes were not released in chronological order. While I know that this is a "no kidding" statement for a lot of people, I've seen plenty of fans who were put off by how sequences of events kept happening at what seemed like a random progression. Fortunately, there's a chronological episode listing available.

The good news is that Rebels doesn't repeat that gimmick, and is in chronological order straight through.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I get that cartoons aimed at the youth audience aren't going to appeal to everybody. But if you haven't watched it or have only watched a few scattered episodes, it's worth checking out. I like them better than the Prequels. And they get to incorporate more far-flung places and lore in Star Wars, including epsiodes on Ryloth, dealing with Dathomir witches, and Mandalorians.

Remove ads