• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloverfield

atom crash

First Post
RigaMortus2, thanks to post #42, now I've got this crazy idea for a one-shot D&D adventure where the PCs are low-level characters trying to survive on the streets of the Free City while epic-level heroes battle the recently awakened tarrasque as it rampages through the city streets.

BryonD

Hero
Krug said:
You don't get the point. The characters were stock, and after that 15 minutes of clumsy establishment, were still stock. I didn't feel any more sense of investment in them than the character Drew Barrymore played in Scream for about ten minutes.
If that is your point, then you don't get the point.

Felon

First Post
My only real disappointment is that when it really mattered--when Hud goes face-to-face with the monster--the sense of scale fails. I didn't feel like I was looking up something gargantuan enough to topple buildings.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
atom crash said:
RigaMortus2, thanks to post #42, now I've got this crazy idea for a one-shot D&D adventure where the PCs are low-level characters trying to survive on the streets of the Free City while epic-level heroes battle the recently awakened tarrasque as it rampages through the city streets.
That would be a lot of fun. Most of the movie would be applicable, I think.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I really liked the movie. I just posted on this at the WotC boards, so I won't go into too much more here...

Certainly, though, this is not a movie you should watch if you get motion sick. They even had signs at the ticket office at the theater warning people about the movie.

As for the discussion in the original post... I see how this was probably inspired by The Host. At the same time, I like this movie a lot more than that terribly nonsensical and painfully political movie.

Cloverfield completely disregards politics or simple messages and focuses on a distilled form of human experience, which is how I think a good piece of art should be. And Cloverfield is a piece of art. If you are looking for cheap thrills and a good monster rampage which gets tied up neatly with a bow, don't bother with this movie, since it is trying to do something very different. I think it is a much needed redemption of the monster genre, since far too many movies in that genre treat human lives far too lightly.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Felon said:
My only real disappointment is that when it really mattered--when Hud goes face-to-face with the monster--the sense of scale fails. I didn't feel like I was looking up something gargantuan enough to topple buildings.

[sblock] That's why some are thinking there were two monsters (in addition to the parasites)[/sblock]

Darkwolf71

First Post
Darth Shoju said:
[sblock] That's why some are thinking there were two monsters (in addition to the parasites)[/sblock]
[sblock]Nope, Abrams has said that there is only one monster, the scale gets borked because of the range/angle of that shot. (I'll try to find that again today)[/sblock]

Edit:
[sblock]Found it. It was actually the director who said it. It is in the FAQ linked previously.

Note that the big monster is not the only monster in the film. There are smaller, similar-looking monsters attached to the big one. We see these small monsters attacking people throughout the movie. Theories also suggest there is more than one larger monster due to what appears to be size changes, however, the director, Matt Reeves, said that the monster only appears smaller due to how it was filmed.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
[sblock]Nope, Abrams has said that there is only one monster, the scale gets borked because of the range/angle of that shot. (I'll try to find that again today)[/sblock]

Edit:
[sblock]Found it. It was actually the director who said it. It is in the FAQ linked previously.

[/sblock]

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. LOL

I guess that is one of my few beefs about the movie: the monster just was a little lacking IMO.

Felon

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:

Edit:

[/sblock]
Yeah, there needed to be some other objects in the shot to maintain the sense of scale, and perhaps the focus is a little too sharp for something that's supposed to be 100 feet or so up in the air.

RigaMortus2

First Post
atom crash said:

Sounds like a great idea. I might do that myself. I'll call the adventure Shamrockfield (heh).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads