CM hacked

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
CM is loading a page saying that a group has hacked it to show the site's vulnerabilities. There's a flashing rainbow image. I closed the browser and am doing a scan of my computer to make sure they didn't put anything malicious there.

What a sensible fellow. I always know how much I like being mugged to know my personal vulnerabilities, car-jacked to know my mobile vulnerabilities...and napalmed to know my pain vulnerabilities. What a nice fellow.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...car-jacked to know my mobile vulnerabilities...

Tangent: there was a car-alarm/security company that hired a street teem to hand out advertising fliers. The technique employed was that each member of the street team was given fliers to put inside any unlocked car they found, saying something to the effect of "Congratulations! Your car was unlocked, but we found it instead of the thieves!" and the company's contact info.

Problem was, some of the street team didn't lock the doors after placing the fliers, and at least one local car theft ring figured that out and started trailing the street team...

Rune

Once A Fool
Tangent: there was a car-alarm/security company that hired a street teem to hand out advertising fliers. The technique employed was that each member of the street team was given fliers to put inside any unlocked car they found, saying something to the effect of "Congratulations! Your car was unlocked, but we found it instead of the thieves!" and the company's contact info.

Problem was, some of the street team didn't lock the doors after placing the fliers, and at least one local car theft ring figured that out and started trailing the street team...

And those employees that did lock the doors might have caused problems, too, if the car-owners didn't have car-door keys on them because they weren't expecting someone to lock them out of their car.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And those employees that did lock the doors might have caused problems, too, if the car-owners didn't have car-door keys on them because they weren't expecting someone to lock them out of their car.

How many modern vehicles have door keys that aren't also ignition keys?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My car's modern. It doesn't have an ignition key thingie.
Thank god.

Okay, so if you leave your door unlocked, anyone could just sit down, push a button, and drive off with your car? No skill at all required?

How often do you figure with a car like that, anyone in an area with enough people to make this ad scheme worthwhile will want their car doors left unlocked?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, you still need the RFID chip in the key fob to start the car.

However, there ARE ways around this. In a given car model, there may be only a couple dozen different physical key & lock variations, and some makers, its as few as seven. Usually, they're randomized, but about a decade or so ago, Skoda got in trouble for shipping about 150,000 cars with the same lock to Canada...as a single shipment.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are only a few dozen RFID codes, and over time, a car theft ring could easily scan them all and put them on a single transmitter.

...assuming that they can't just hotwire them, of course.

Remove ads