• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC] Difference in Call of Cthulu Editions?

Toben the Many

First Post
Quick question:

I recently picked up CoC 5th edition. I got an older book from the 90's. What's the difference between this edition and the current one?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Aside from some layout (especially the fonts and some artwork) and tighter editing, hardly anything. You have a book nearly 100% the same as the 6.5 (or whatever they're up to now) version.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Mechanically, basically just the skills are different. Some of them have more skills than others. I think maybe charater creation has changed a little (how the skill points you get are determined).

The fluff does change from book to book. Some have different scenarios, essays, etc. However, I think the latest 5th edition book (5.6?) is the same as the 6th and later versions in terms of that.

nerfherder

Explorer
Toben the Many said:
So later editions still have people rolling stats randomly? Just curious.
Yep. There's various rolling options, but we just went for straight rolls in order for the current campaign. Seems to work fine.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
%th edition was the last 'big change' in systems. (Big being relative, not much compared to the changes between 2nd ed. AD&D and 3e D&D.) I believe that more 'fluff' has been added, and new illos. but that is the majority of the changes.

Dark Ages Cthulhu on the other hand only had a points based system for character generation.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads