• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Codex of Betrayal: Alloces

Shroomy

Adventurer
Yeah, I love the mystery of He Who Was; to me, Asmodeus's betrayal dosen't seem to be simple case of Good vs. Evil because this god is defintely hard to pin down. I mean, he was probably better than his successor and his domain has been described as a "heaven", but I don't see him as necessarily a force for good, especially since he employed angels like Asmodeus and Alloces in the first place, neither of whom struck me as exemplars of goodness (to put it mildly) in their limited pre-diabolic depictions.

Yeah, I love the mystery of He Who Was; to me, Asmodeus's betrayal dosen't seem to be simple case of Good vs. Evil because this god is defintely hard to pin down. I mean, he was probably better than his successor and his domain has been described as a "heaven", but I don't see him as necessarily a force for good, especially since he employed angels like Asmodeus and Alloces in the first place, neither of whom struck me as exemplars of goodness (to put it mildly) in their limited pre-diabolic depictions.

Yep, this is exactly the sort of reason why I'd prefer not to delve into the answers too soon. I love the JudeoChristian echoes, but I don't want this to be a direct metaphor, and I like the idea that Asmodeus's predecessor wasn't necessarily a god of rainbows, light, marshmallows, and puppies. ;)

Actually, while I would never do this as part of official D&D canon, I love the idea of running a personal campaign in which it turns out that Asmodeus is actually the good guy--in which the god he overthrew was a being of hideous evil, and that he's set up the Hells to trap the souls of the damned as a prison for evil beings, rather than as a means of increasing the power of evil in the cosmos.

(Again, not suggesting that for the real/official story in any way; in D&D proper, Asmodeus is a major bad guy, and he needs to stay that way. But it's an example of the kind of thing that you can do in your home game, aided by the fact that nobody knows exactly what He Who Was... was.)

Bold or Stupid

First Post
At least in my games the He who was is an ambiguous figure at best, he was Good, scholars say, but as my group sort of know he built an artifact that would allow him to slay and absorb other gods powers. This sparked Asmodeus' rebellion, his methods led him to evil, sort of the wrong thing done for the right reasons. Nothing more than that is defined. I got a chunk of the inspiration for this from Jacqueline Carey's Sundering Duology, and the rest from things like In Nomine.

At least in my games the He who was is an ambiguous figure at best, he was Good, scholars say, but as my group sort of know he built an artifact that would allow him to slay and absorb other gods powers. This sparked Asmodeus' rebellion, his methods led him to evil, sort of the wrong thing done for the right reasons. Nothing more than that is defined. I got a chunk of the inspiration for this from Jacqueline Carey's Sundering Duology, and the rest from things like In Nomine.

Nice. :)

Bold or Stupid

First Post

Thanks. :)

I'm also working up to using a cult that may be to He who was, that want to unite all in a single vision of Good (Good Thought, Good Words, Good Deeds). Mostly this is so that I can weird out players by having Devils be their allies.

It may be obvious that I dislike simple monolithic evil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads