Cognitive dissonance in YOUR favorite RPG [+]

Have you ever experienced cognitive dissonance in YOUR favorite RPG(s)?

• Yes, and I have resolved most of it

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Yes, and I have resolved some of it

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Yes, and I have resolved little or none of it

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Maybe / I am not sure / I don't know

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • No, I have never experienced cognitive dissonance in my favorite RPG(s)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I read the OP and I do not understand what is "cognitive dissonance" or how it applies to RPGs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (see comment)

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Poll closed .

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In D&D spell preparation for Clerics. Just seems daft that the deity would deny them aid because them memorized Bull's Strength, instead or Remove Paralysis that morning.
For just this reason, we did away with spell preparation/memorization for Clerics about 39 years ago. :)

Bagpuss

Legend
For just this reason, we did away with spell preparation/memorization for Clerics about 39 years ago. :)
We did for a bit but the clerics turn was getting excessively long because they have access to EVERY cleric spell of the levels they had unlocked.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We did for a bit but the clerics turn was getting excessively long because they have access to EVERY cleric spell of the levels they had unlocked.
Yeah, that happens; but if the player is indecisive then after a moment I say the Cleric is too, and move on. :)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
For me, this normally crops up around AC and hit points, then I get over it by thinking that these are just ways to play the game and I stop being concerned about it.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
This may not count as playing my favorite game, but I keep doomscrolling through a thread about the OGL where people think that Hasbro tried to commit some sort of crime against humanity, and that it can’t possibly be true the DNDB cancellations wasn’t a huge hit to their revenue, and they were lying on their earnings call, and that they were obviously trying to intentionally destroy the livelihoods of independent publishers, just to be mean, and a bunch of other crazy nonsense that just about makes my head explode.

Does that count?

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
This may not count as playing my favorite game, but I keep doomscrolling through a thread about the OGL where people think that Hasbro tried to commit some sort of crime against humanity, and that it can’t possibly be true the DNDB cancellations wasn’t a huge hit to their revenue, and they were lying on their earnings call, and that they were obviously trying to intentionally destroy the livelihoods of independent publishers, just to be mean, and a bunch of other crazy nonsense that just about makes my head explode.

Does that count?
Um.... Ummm....

I don't know if that's cognitive dissonance for you, but I think you came to the wrong thread on that topic.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
This is a + thread 🙏

The purpose of this + thread is to learn if cognitive dissonance happens if/when playing our favorite game, and what if anything we’ve done about it.

What is cognitive dissonance?

Cognitive dissonance is (and hopefully this is an accurate summary):
  • Perceiving contradictory information, like two ideas that are inconsistent with each other
  • and feeling some amount of mental stress as a result
  • and usually trying to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce the mental discomfort
To reduce cognitive dissonance, we have various coping strategies, like:
  • Adjusting one's behavior or attitude (for example, eat less junk food if concerned about a healthy diet)
  • Rationalizing or justifying the behavior or belief that creates the dissonance
  • Ignoring or denying the info that creates the dissonance
Cognitive dissonance can result in frustration and confusion. Sometimes it can ultimately lead to personal growth, if the discomfort drives us to re-evaluate our beliefs and adjust behavior accordingly.

Cognitive dissonance in RPGs?

I propose that many of us have and/or continue to experience some amount of cognitive dissonance in roleplaying games. It can be mild or intense, it can divide us into many different sides, and sometimes we invest a good amount of time and effort arguing and/or resolving it.

From alignment to XP, upon reading or in play, potential sources of cognitive dissonance could be very general (like hit points) to very granular (why do druids not use metal armor but do use metal weapons?). The mental discomfort could be negligible or minor or major. Reducing the dissonance could vary from ignoring it to switching to a new system altogether and everything in between.

But why use that term?

I personally like the term “cognitive dissonance”, because it's:
  • a formal theory in psychology
  • more precise than “I don’t like this”
  • experiential (it doesn’t try to assign an objective formal characteristic to a rule or fiction)
  • subjective (it's not a criticism of someone else's experience with the game)
For example

For example, in my favorite RPG (currently 5E), I see PC hit points as primarily a reserve of heroic resilience and good fortune (until it drops into, say, the 10s to reflect more physical endurance). However when, say, a fireball fills up an empty room and the PCs take massive amounts of fire damage, it’s hard for me to see cinematically what happened. Do they have first degree burns? Do the PCs manifest untold defensive powers? I try not to think about it too much. My group is not interested in trying out other systems at this time, so that's not currently a solution. However, as the PCs keep rising in levels, I’ve been thinking about introducing an in-fiction explanation that supports levels and hit points as part of the world-building.

"In my game..."

To facilitate a productive discussion, be as subjective ("in my game...") as possible

Let's NOT make assertions:
  • About other people or their experiences or games we’ve barely played
  • That if you don't like X, stop playing your favorite RPG
  • That X isn't a problem or "should" not be a issue for somebody else
  • Using Forge-talk, if only because of the baggage and to be as inclusive as possible in a general forum
reading this about RPG cognitive dissonance and the first thing that came to mind was "i want magic to be magical~ but i also want it to be safe, consistent, easily accessible and for me to have all the information about it”

Last edited:

cranberry

Adventurer
Yep, 5E provides plenty of cognitive dissonance:

For me it's healing. A simple long rest restores all of your HP, and usually cures you of any other non magical ills.

Also armor class re: something like full plate mail. Someone wearing full plate should be nearly impervious to most "medieval" damage. At the very least, they should introduce a damage reduction factor, but I get that the high AC effectively factors that in...but still.

Lack of STR floors and ceiling for different species. IMHO, A 3 foot tall humanoid should have a max (base) STR score, and a 7 foot tall humanoid should have a minimum (base) STR score - I know why this is ignored in D&D (because it allows people to create the character they want) ..but just purely from a physics/body mechanics perspective, it really hurts my suspension of disbelief.

Nothing a character wears or holds can be burned by a fireball...but if they happen not to be holding a object, that object can be burned. (I really liked the 1E saving throws that were required for objects - for me that made a lot of sense.)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Ok, more seriously, the one that bothers me the most is when you go unconscious at 0 HP, then you get 1 HP of healing and all of the sudden you're back on your feet at full effectiveness.

Although honestly the most dissonant part for me is not when it actually happens, but that it results in a strategy of letting teammates go to zero, because you know you can get them up before your turn, and they'll just "soak" the extra damage since they can't go below zero.

Remove ads