Collaborating with Your DM

Is your D&D game a battle of DM versus players? Or do you prefer a collaborative relationship over an adversarial one?

Is your D&D game a battle of DM versus players? Or do you prefer a collaborative relationship over an adversarial one?

Before I dig into this, let me be clear: the best style of play is whatever your group prefers. I’m not here to tell you your fun is wrong. If everyone is enjoying the game, that’s the only thing that matters!

However, I know a lot of people who had unpleasant experiences with DMs who came to the table and gleefully announced their intention to shoot for a TPK. In other cases, the DM wasn’t that aggressive, but enjoyed running a world in which the players felt they didn’t have much agency and characters existed mostly as pawns in the DM’s story. If your group isn’t that into roleplay, it can work.

I support a more collaborative approach for groups that enjoy lots of roleplay, so the whole group tells the story. Long campaigns especially benefit from this approach. The DM still has plenty of control, but involves the players heavily so their characters affect the story instead of merely walking through activities. It works best when all the players are onboard with this approach, so everyone has a little breathing room for character exploration. Personally, I like playing in a game where I’m a fan of the other characters and am excited to see what they do even when my character isn’t there.

This method does require a bit more preparation outside the game, for DM and players alike. But it’s fun! When you’re collaborating with someone, it’s a bit like getting some extra play time.

The main campaign I’m playing in currently has five regular PCs: a well-adjusted barbarian, an arcane archer/professional prizefighter in a wrestling-style kirin mask, and three enormous drama llamas (one of which is my character). It’s a nice balance because everyone has goals and desires as individuals and as a group, but not everyone is in a pit of existential horror all the time. We’ve formed an interesting unit, and can help each other with various problems.

This campaign is RP-intensive, so our DM works with each of us separately from time to time to find out what our characters are feeling, what they hope to accomplish in the short-term and long-term, etc. He consistently requests feedback, and always is receptive to emails about character business between games. It’s nice knowing that he’s interested in what we want, both as players and characters, and we see these conversations bear fruit in the game.

Over time, I’ve learned to trust him with that information. This trust is crucial. I wouldn’t feel as comfortable getting so deep into roleplay in a game where the DM only intended to use personal insight to torture the characters. In this case, we know he cares about us players as people. He’s definitely going to use that information to fuel drama. That’s part of the job. But there’s a difference between being ruthless and being careless. He maintains a good sense of each player’s threshold for fictional pain, which is important and keeps it fun -- even when we’re crying or having in-character nightmares in real life.

(That actually happened last week. I had my character’s nightmare. I mentioned this while hanging out with my game group and our DM was perhaps a little too excited to get all the details. I take it as proof that the game is going well though. It’s gotten under my skin enough that my brain is still playing when I’m asleep! That’s amazing! But if you don’t want to get quite that intense, that’s okay too.)

Yet another benefit: a collaborative approach bleeds over into the way players interact with each other. When you spend enough time delving into characters, you might end up having in-character, out-of-game conversations like I talked about a few weeks ago.

I don’t mean to suggest that DMs should soften all the edges and make every session a picnic at Hugs and Puppies National Park...unless that’s what you all want, of course. You can fill your game with plenty of dramatic tension and thrills, but balance it with opportunities for characters to stop and have feelings. Then it will actually make an impact when the DM occasionally springs a major trap. They get the joy of watching players freak out in a truly meaningful way, and players get the rush from that emotional rollercoaster. If that sounds good to you, try it! It’s well worth the effort.

This article was contributed by Annie Bulloch as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Dispater

Explorer
Good post, I also think collaboration has to also come from the players. If you show your DM trust, they will open up and let you be a greater part of the storytelling. The DM wants things to run well too, and inexperienced DMs need experienced players who will help to fill in the blanks and generate their own opportunities for roleplay.

I see a lot of posts "I am DM I do this, this and this and that" and they waffle on about agency and murder hobos, but I dont see a lot of posts coming from players who actively try to better their game. DMs are far from perfect and if you treat them as an adversary you will bring out the worst in both them and you. DMs usually just want to create a story and have fun while doing it. If you let them and help them, everyone can have a good time.

The very first sentence in the Basic Rules (and I'm fairly certain it's the same in the PHB) - the FIRST SENTENCE - is this The Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game is about storytelling...

Still in the introduction, first sentence of the fourth paragraph One player, however, takes on the role of the DungeonMaster (DM), the game’s lead storyteller...
In this sense, the term is used descriptively, rather than prescriptively. Everyone plays their characters, and by that process of role-playing, a story is told. It is not a game where players wield narrative control beyond what their characters decide. The details are explained later on.

They just throw that description into the intro for the benefit of players who are entirely new, and have no idea what to expect.

Sleepy Walker

First Post
I run and prep my campaign as a series of events which will happen unless the players intervein. The players do stuff and I figure out what happens. In that way I create the scenario and they muck it all up. I do this on the small scale (vendors), the mid scale ("dungeons"), and the campaign scale. Simple to conceptualize, sometimes difficult to keep up.

I do not try to kill the party or try to keep them alive. I try my best to make believably, consistent, scenarios which are interesting, give the players enough info for informed decision making, and I fully expect the players to interact with those scenarios and make them their own. To that end I would like to think my players believe I am impartial and can be open with their intentions.

I've played a game where a player did not trust the DM to remain impartial and there was a lot of "What did you roll?" "You tell me the DC first."

Oofta

Legend
In this sense, the term is used descriptively, rather than prescriptively. Everyone plays their characters, and by that process of role-playing, a story is told. It is not a game where players wield narrative control beyond what their characters decide. The details are explained later on.

They just throw that description into the intro for the benefit of players who are entirely new, and have no idea what to expect.

I think there can be some give and take. In my own home campaign we frequently have people fill in holes in the world. Whether that's filling in some gap of history so that their ancestor was a hero or helping fill in details of their home town. It can even be fairly dramatic events that happen concurrently with the ongoing campaign thread. For example in a recent campaign, a player detailed a thieves guild. Who was who, what relationships were with other groups, etc. They decided (with DM approval) that a high level official would die under mysterious circumstances, and that the guild master was responsible. They didn't necessarily have control over the narrative when the campaign intersected with the fiction, but they definitely contributed.

Whether that's "official" or not, I don't know. Been too long since I've read that part of the book.

Ugh, I hate when it gets to that. It’s like, D&D is so popular right now. It’s not that hard to replace a player, or to go off and find another DM. Gone are the days when there was one DM you knew and if they weren’t good, you were either stuck with them or not going to do any gaming.

I've played a game where a player did not trust the DM to remain impartial and there was a lot of "What did you roll?" "You tell me the DC first."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads