Combat challenge and monster attacks

malraux

First Post
Ti Kwan Leep Master

:bmelee: Boot to the Head
+5 vs AC: 1d6 + 4

:melee: They really deserve it!
Make 2 basic melee attacks

So I need a clarification on how the fighter's combat challenge would work here. Obviously if the Ti Kwan Leep master, having been marked by the fighter, were to :bmelee: against someone other than the fighter, he takes the -2 and the fighter gets a basic attack against him as well. But if he uses the :melee: They really deserve it! attack, with one targeting the fighter and one targeting someone else, does he still take the -2 and get the basic attack from the fighter? Is he really making 2 basic melee attacks or is he making one attack that uses the basic melee attack information twice?

Apologies if this question is spelled out someone obvious that I've missed.

Mengu

First Post
He takes the penalty because it is an attack that does not include the fighter.

If They really deserve it! was worded as a close burst 1, make a melee attack against two targets in range, +5 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage, then there would be no penalty.

Very subtle, but there is a difference.

Also to note, powers like They really deserve it! are typically worded as: Make 2 Boot to the Head attacks. In which case it's a bit clearer that the Ti Kwan Leep Master would suffer the penalty attacking someone other than the fighter, if he was marked by the fighter.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post

Thanks. That's how I thought it was intended to work, but now that my fighter has learned to really use his mark to protect the rest of the group, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing an inherent mark protection ability.

MarkB

Legend
There is a school of thought that if a specific Attack Power grants multiple attacks, and you direct one of those attacks at the marking creature, you have not made an attack that does not include the marking creature, because both attacks were part of the same power.

It's ambiguous because the rules tend to use the word "attack" to cover individual attack rolls and attack powers interchangeably. I would tend towards saying that if an attack power includes at least one attack against the fighter, then using that power does not constitute making an attack that excludes the fighter.

malraux

First Post
Well, submitted to customer support. Of course, regardless of the answer, I know that's not a definitive answer, but maybe it'll get bumped up to the higher ups and get a solid resolution.

malraux

First Post
FWIW, customer support said
If the creature is marked and makes an attack that does not include the fighter, combat challenge will trigger. In the case of double attack, both attacks will need to be directed at the fighter to avoid the attack granted by Combat Challenge.

Remove ads