D&D 5E Combining Magical Effects

Corwin

Explorer
Well the errata clarify that when two or more same-named spell overlap, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap. In the case of 2d6 fire damage (save for half) only one of them means that it doesn't really matter if you use the first or second casting, only one spell will have an effect.

In the case of a situation like that, I'd probably be inclined to roll them both separately and apply the higher damage result.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well the errata clarify that when two or more same-named spell overlap, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap. In the case of 2d6 fire damage (save for half) only one of them means that it doesn't really matter if you use the first or second casting, only one spell will have an effect.

Read Giant's original post - what you say isn't new: the PHB already says to use the most "potent" one.

Of course, it wasn't in the DMG, which is the reason why I'm thinking the errata is simply to fix an omission rather than to actually change anything.

As for your actual explanation, you're glossing fairly hard over the issues I brought up... ;)

PS. Are you using a non-standard ENWorld theme by any chance? Your post contains a lot of shuffling about with the color black. The standard light theme uses black text - there is no difference.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Read Giant's original post - what you say isn't new: the PHB already says to use the most "potent" one.

Of course, it wasn't in the DMG, which is the reason why I'm thinking the errata is simply to fix an omission rather than to actually change anything.

As for your actual explanation, you're glossing fairly hard over the issues I brought up... ;)
One of them - the most potent - to me doesn't refer to what it could potentially deal in terms of damage, but as an effect or penalties. So if two overlapping same spell effects deals 2d6 (save for half) being affected by one of the two effect for me would be pick one and deals all its effect, including roll, and not roll for all the overlapping effects and take the most damaging one. Making two damage roll and taking the highest makes you being affected by the two effects even if you apply the effect of only one, and i'm not sure it's intended to work that way.

PS. Are you using a non-standard ENWorld theme by any chance? Your post contains a lot of shuffling about with the color black. The standard light theme uses black text - there is no difference.
I don't know i didn't really do anything to change text color

Last edited:

The rest of the PHB quote gives an example of Bless. You only roll the die once. Doesn't matter how many Bless you have in place. One d4. Not 6d4 chose the highest.

That said, I do not agree with flaming sphere. The "effect" of the spell is you take damage (instantly). That effect is not ongoing (it does not set you on fire for a duration). So the DMG errata which over-rides the PHB, - you can get hurt by as many flaming spheres as are on the board. Multiple auras of angry spirits create a difficult terrain effect for a duration, so that does not stack (its not super duper difficult terrain). But the damage part? i am less confident about that. It is not like you are "on fire" and cannot be "more on fire" - its getting cut once, then getting cut again.

Remove ads