• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combining templates

Palskane

First Post
I see no specific rule that disallows applying the fiendish and celectial template on the same creature. Is this correct?

Is there any table that I can consult that will show which templates can be stacked?

Thanks!

Psion

Adventurer
Well, the guidelines of which creatures each can be applied to are conflicting; celestial required a nonevil creature and makes the creature always good; fiendish required a nongood creature and makes the creature evil.

Man-thing

First Post
Wait if one requires nonevil and one nongood than couldn't you apply both to a neutral creature. Conceptually they are conflicting by how they are written doesn't seem to be.

Wait, never mind, further down the template imposes alignment so that's were it will fall apart.
To bad I was just thinking of a Celestially Fiendish Treant.

saucercrab

Explorer
For general template stacking guidelines, go with Savage Species & the appendices in the various Monster Manuals.

In addition to what Psion said (in case that isn't enough), each creature's respective Environments are diametrically opposed. I don't think there are any official planes out there that have both good- & evil- alignment traits. Plus the flavor text states that each type dwells on upper or lower planes, respectively. Hard to combine the two, outside of artificial manipulation (magical experimentation, rituals, etc.).

Palskane

First Post
Well, the celestial template says it can be applied to a creature of "good or neutral alignment" and the fiendish template says "non-good alignment". It seems that if a creature is neutral it could have both.

The reason I am asking is this: there are two NPC's which follow the same deity. One has fiendish blood and the other has celestial blood. The deity has combined them into one powerful, mixed being to combat a mutual threat. Alignment restrictions seem to be met, so I was asking if it were possible.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
I don't see any reason why not...I mean, technically, the books says it can't ('cus it changes alignment) or at least very hard (both tempaltes 'gained' at the same time by a neuitral creature, what alignment is it)...but it's a freain' god.

So, if you're asking the question as a rules stickler: No, I don't think they can.
If you're asking as a DM looking to create a unique NPC/Villan servant of a god, then heck yeah!

saucercrab

Explorer
Well, yeah, if a god is going to combine the two. (I stand by my last statement.) Your qualifier is one of the few ways it would work, as the alignment restrictions & flavor text say "nay."

I was under the assumption that you were asking if it could naturally happen, as the templates normally cannot be added after birth/character creation.

Or, what Kirin'Tor said.

Palskane

First Post
saucercrab said:
For general template stacking guidelines, go with Savage Species & the appendices in the various Monster Manuals.

In addition to what Psion said (in case that isn't enough), each creature's respective Environments are diametrically opposed. I don't think there are any official planes out there that have both good- & evil- alignment traits. Plus the flavor text states that each type dwells on upper or lower planes, respectively. Hard to combine the two, outside of artificial manipulation (magical experimentation, rituals, etc.).

They both reside on the Prime Material Plane. Neither are full celestial or full fiendish. Here's the full details:

The female is a tiefling. The male is a human, though it has been recently found that he has some celestial blood far back in his bloodline. They have fallen in love, and their goddess, Bast, has proclaimed them her Huntress and Hunter, respectively. There is a very nasty bad guy that they have to defeat, and the female is going to almost perish when they try to beat him apart. The Hunter will give his own life to save her and in the process Bast will combine the two into something much greater than they already are, bringing both bloodlines to their full power and infusing them with a spark of her own power.

I'd prefer not to bend any rules to do this. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Palskane

First Post
Heh. Thanks. I'll roll with my original idea and see what I come up with. I was thinking along the lines of a Celestial/Fiendish Winged Advanced Dire Lion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads