• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Coming back to D&D after 15 years.... Vow of poverty problems (3.5)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Yeah, that feat has a very high place on the list of things that should never be allowed.

The whole book is pretty prominent also.

Elf Witch

First Post
My take on the magic item use rules: A VoP character can freely use the property of others for the aid of others--all forms of "please use this on me" type requests are ok so long as they are compatible with Exalted status.

However, the VoP character can't accept potions or the like to use on himself.

A VoP character also does not lose his status through the "use" of a magic item whose use can't reasonably be avoided. He doesn't lose his VoP status from bringing home a luckstone (although he must dispose of it at the first good opportunity to do so) and he can even put loot (but not anything of his own) in a magical storage container.

He's also free to carry as much food and water as is necessary to reach the next place they can be obtained.

It's all rather moot to me as I would never allow an Exalted character in the first place.

This is basically how I see it just like I would allow the use of silvered weapons if needed to save a community for werewolves. If using the item is in the aid of being good and there is no other solutions then I allow it.

I like the exalted feats a lot. But I require good role playing to have them and so when players in my games take them they are not just looking for more power but things that fit their character concept.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Vow of Poverty lets you use a lot of things, you just can't own them.

Scrolls are legal as things are now. So are potions and oils. Wands and their relatives are supposed to be off limits, but if your DM is okay with them being used once in a while that's up to them. Just don't make a habit of it.

Most important on those things though is that if they are used once in a while, make sure there's good faith. Not, "Well these potions are really his, I just have to carry them for him".

Want your Paladin to use VOP? So let your Paladin use a quarterstaff. Or a Mace. Or a Morningstar. Or a sickle. Or any other simple weapon.

If you allow armor of any kind, then edit out the AC bonuses the VOP gives. They shouldn't get both.

I might allow a shield, if it's one that has the family crest, or the symbol for the church or noble that they serve. Better if it's cast aside when the battle begins though.

Over all, while we tend to see Paladins as the classic "Knight in Shining Armor", we all know from play that the armor doesn't always shine. And if that armor is provided by righteousness instead of by a smith? So what. Maybe they "shine" without armor when the VOP AC bonuses come into play.

If you're feeling generous let them have a second simple weapon, like a crossbow or a sling, so they have some ranged damage potential.

Sorry if I'm the wet blanket. I guess I've played with too many opportunistic rules gymnasts.

Remove ads