D&D 5E Coming up with ideas for a Feywild adventure

RoiC.

Explorer
I've been running a campagin in the jungles of Chult (Tomb of Annihilation) for a year and something, and I feel like it's time to shake things up a bit, so I've decided to throw my players to the Feywild in the next session, for a arc lasting 2-4 sessions. Now, I have a rough idea that I want try and develop a bit, but I feel some commentary and ideas from other people would help me a lot.

There are two factions in this area. One is an ancient grandmother sea hag, who's in control of a large part of a nearby basin, teeming with life. Her denizens will probably include mermen, sea elves and/or other similar creatutes, who serve as some sort of vassals for her. The other faction is an aspiring young adult green dragon, in control of a large portion of the forest, and has a bunch of local fey corrupted by him serve him as minions or just being his unwilling denizens. Because it's the Feywild, strict good and evil are out of the window. Both will be cruel, self-serving rulers, but both will have both positive and negative effect on the area (for example, they dragon might protect the area from powerful invaders, but demand someone sacrficied to him twice a week - that's just an idea, I feel like I can really make this part interesting). Both the dragon and the hag will want to depose each other to take the other's territory for themselves, and will both try to enlist the party's help to destabilize the other's rule (or even outright take them out). I plan on giving the party the option of siding with whoever they want, take down both factions if they wish to, or outright ignore them and move on to other areas of the Feywild. Hell, maybe I can even throw in a third faction.

So far, I have these details sort of figured out:

• I want the arc to start when some random pixie/sprite/quickling/whatever working for the dragon will steal one of the PCs' nose - "got your nose", but for real, complete with mechanical implications.
  • The dragon will offer the nose back if the party will help him in his struggle with the hag, maybe even help them get back home.
  • The hag will offer some weird magical alternative for the nose if the party will help her in her struggle with the dragom, and will even tell the group that she open a gateway to the Prime, but she'll need a green dragon's corpse as a material component.

I feel like this might be a really solid idea for an adventure, and a bit of a change from the stuff that we've been doing until now, because I feel like I could use some change. I'll appreciate any ideas and inspiration you can provide to help me flesh my idea out a bit and expand on it. Cheers!

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
One thing I did when I took my PCs to the Feywild/1st World was to have them do versions of their character in 1e and ran the sessions there in the older rule set to show the Feywild as an older more primal version of reality where strange arbitrary laws operate and things are similar but off. It being for a defined short term part of the game the PCs were ok with it and enjoyed it, even though most did not want to game under that rule system for a long time.

4e or Pathfinder/3e or any other game system you enjoy could work for that.

RoiC.

Explorer
One thing I did when I took my PCs to the Feywild/1st World was to have them do versions of their character in 1e and ran the sessions there in the older rule set to show the Feywild as an older more primal version of reality where strange arbitrary laws operate and things are similar but off. It being for a defined short term part of the game the PCs were ok with it and enjoyed it, even though most did not want to game under that rule system for a long time.

4e or Pathfinder/3e or any other game system you enjoy could work for that.
That sounds like an interesting concept, but I think it'll be too much work, especially considering the fact I've only played 5e (aside from a quick run of 3e when I was like... 10).

aco175

Legend
You could have both these factions competing for a McGruffin located in a place between their two lairs. They each want the PCs to retrieve it since they cannot enter for some reason. You can introduce each of the bad guys with some sort of combat going on between the two groups. The PCs are drawn into the mess with invites from one or both BBEGs. Next adventure involves getting the McGruffin which could be some dungeon crawl with a twist. Possibly, the McGruffin is a good fey like a pixie queen that needs help saving her kingdom from one of the BBEGs. Last adventure can be fighting a bad guy or both of them with help from the other fey.

Voadam

Legend
Fairy land rules in stories are often weird. Stay on the path and you are fine, step off and disaster can hit instantly. Eat fairy food and you become trapped there forever. Accept a favor and you have to repay it exactly or you become the slave of the favor giver. Riddles can be the challenge. Payments can be things like your enjoyment of a beautiful sunrise. Time can work differently, they might come back into the real world and a wildly different amount of time has passed there. Parties and dancing can be the scene, or for witch stories, cleaning and chores. Animals can talk and be helpers. Most stories disagree on particulars and most mortals are ignorant of the details.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you are getting tired of tropical jungle, have that section of Feywild be open prairie or mountaintop terrain. So the group really is someplace completely different.

Remove ads