• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Command: Die

EyeontheMountain

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
No, just before you cast the spell, use your Free Action to explain to the enemy what autodefenstate means. Then cast it :)

Player to enemy: Did you know that the word autodefenstrate means to toss one's self out a window?
Enemy: Ahhhh.... No.
Player: Well, you do now
/player1 Cast Command: autodefenstrate

Now all you need is a character who has been to 16 years of school, and has been reading newspapers, magazines, and such so they know that word. And a rather dim DM who would allowit.

Good luck.

RigaMortus2

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Now all you need is a character who has been to 16 years of school, and has been reading newspapers, magazines, and such so they know that word. And a rather dim DM who would allowit.

Good luck.

Or someone with an intelligence score 10 or above, which most characters have.

Notmousse

First Post
Actually there is a case where Command: Die might work. If memory serves the Asherati (sp?) are held together only due to their diety, thus renouncing the faith is certain death. So with a single round's worth of actions an Asherati may kill itself, without so much as using an action (speaking, and thus denouncing your faith, is a free action).

And I've gotta wonder, how does feigning death not make you helpless and thus ripe for Coup De Grace?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've never allowed command:die in any previous edition - because the person hearing it can't tell how it is spelt. There are likely to spend a round attempting to squash red berries into their clothes.

MarkB

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
I've never allowed command:die in any previous edition - because the person hearing it can't tell how it is spelt. There are likely to spend a round attempting to squash red berries into their clothes.
Or give the caster their d20.

Cedric

First Post
Ultimately, no matter how plausible, I'm not allowing a well placed "Command: Die" to force the creature to sacrifice itself.

The best you are going to get is it may take an action that invokes an AoO, or fall down and have to take an AoO to get up.

But, no Coup de Grace, no jumping off the cliff, no setting yourself on fire, none of that.

Also, just because the "very" is perfectly clear in your mind when you cast it, doesn't mean it'll be crystal clear to the target. The more you try to get away with, the worse it'll be.

I'd allow Command: Flee to cause the target to run away for a round, but Command: Run and it's just as likely to run in a random direction, maybe even toward you if it was facing that way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads