Commentary thread for that “Describe your game in five words” thread.

glass

(he, him)
Sunday: New character beat undead easily.
After last weekend's TPK, the GM offered us divine intervention to get back on our feet. The other player/character accepted. But since the divinity in question was Olidammara and my first PC was a Paladin of Aventurnus (and because I had already started coming up with replacement character ideas), I declined.

So my new character and the other guy's old character fought the same four ravenous zombies, then two more, and then two more and a heucuva. My character did not take a single point of damage this time around. What a difference a week makes! EDIT: The other character took some, but never went down.

_
glass.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hey @Fenris-77 , you can't just casually toss out the phrase "combat parsnip" and leave that unexplained.
There's only so much I can do with a five word limit. We were fetching a disgraced Alchemist, specializing in agrarian applications, from his hidey-hole in a backwater village. He was holed up in his own private orchard filled with enormous vegetables and guarded by animated scarecrows. In an effort to not ruffle his feathers my knight went mano-e-mano with the scarecrows armed with a 5-foot parsnip, aiming for disarming and subdual, whilst sneakier members of the party snuck up to his hut to reason with him. Parsnip combat was managed in fine form and with the élan one would expect of a Knight. I kept the parsnip.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
"How'd they hear us scream?"

Sigh. Another group in my West Marches game seems to be completely unaware that sound travels. Yes, Virginia, monsters 50-60 feet away from you can absolutely hear when you start screaming and shouting.

glass

(he, him)
Saturday: Birthday session. Homebrew class works!
I am now officially slightly older. In celebration of that, I spent pretty much all day yesterday playing. I wanted to custom write something, but having failed to do that in any sort of reaonable timeframe, I instead ran an adventure from an old Dungeon Magazine (Muster for Morach Tor from #144).

Much beer was consumed, Indian takeaway was eaten, and a good time was had by all. But the bast thing about it from my point of view was that one of the players elected to play one of my homebrew classes - and it seemed to workout pretty well.

Sunday: No session for various reasons.
Partly due to playing all day Saturday with one of the guys. Partly due to the other guy not being at home for some reason.

_
glass.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The, um...the what, now?? I would love to take some time to unpack the origins and meaning of this one.
Well, it started off with a very standard Arthurian moment. My knight had just won a small tournament when a mysterious Green Knight showed up and offered battle, which I naturally accepted. The Green Knight handily put me on my back, but I managed to knock off his helmet, revealing him to be some sort of vegetable-man, a parsnip in this case. He then fled and we pursued. Eventually I slew him in glorious hand to hand combat

G

Guest 7034872

Well, it started off with a very standard Arthurian moment. My knight had just won a small tournament when a mysterious Green Knight showed up and offered battle, which I naturally accepted. The Green Knight handily put me on my back, but I managed to knock off his helmet, revealing him to be some sort of vegetable-man, a parsnip in this case. He then fled and we pursued. Eventually I slew him in glorious hand to hand combat
Fabulous.

See, this is one of the things I truly love about D&D: we take all sorts of ancient, august, beloved myths and legends and then mix them in with wild stuff like Parsnip People and then >boom!< we've got adventure moments we'll remember for years.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
"No wangrod defense for you."

Legit had one of my players lay into another player and when called on it she busted out the wangrod defense (aka "it's what my character would do!"). No, sorry. That don't fly. Apologize or leave. Okay, bye.

Either I have the worst luck possible or my standards are way too high.

Last edited:

Remove ads