Comments on Eldrich 2 -or- Monte Cook crack addict?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
BTW, folks, I'm sure Morrus would love to see some more reviews of the BoEM2. Currently, there's only one review on it... (hint, hint) :cool:

Psion

Adventurer
Darkness said:
BTW, folks, I'm sure Morrus would love to see some more reviews of the BoEM2. Currently, there's only one review on it... (hint, hint) :cool:

Oh, there'll be one. As I said, I only just finished reading it.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Henry@home said:

Two things can defeat this trick:
  • Readied actions can be applied just like for spellcasters.
  • By the rules, a silence spell stops a Monte.Bard cold, and acts as if it were an antimagic field. This is even worse than for a standard Bard!

Note the Accompaniment feat, which allows the bard to use an instrument to trump a silence spell.

Originally posted by Henry@home
Also, don't forget that the bard is singing. He HAS to sing. How many people do you know can remain hidden and sing at the same time? An easy Listen check would give away their position very quickly. It wouldn't stop the atttack, but it sure would allow you to retaliate.

I don't believe you sing through the entire duration of the effect - just to start it off, the same as a spell with components V, S doesn't require chanting and waving of arms throughout the duration.

Specially noted effects like countersong are the exception.

J

Lord Pendragon

First Post
River said:
You assume this rogue has no Charisma. Most rogues do. Potentially a rogue with 18 Charisma could pull the trick 7 times a day!

You're right. But I still don't see it as imbalanced in any way. Let's face it, this ability allows a rogue to get one sneak attack against one target. In a normal party, a rogue is going to have plenty of opportunities to flank and sneak attack anyway, so the advantage of being able to sneak attack a limited number of times without someone to flank, while nice, is hardly game-breaking. Also, the short duration nullifies nearly any other use of being invisible except for a sneak attack, since out of combat it lasts less than six seconds.

River: this ability is never better than Improved Invisibility. Since you reappear each round, your opponents are always going to have a decent idea of where you are, at least within 30', so area effect spells are still a go. Also, because you reappear, you are either going to tell them exactly where you are (if you cloak, then use it to get a sneak attack,) or they're going to get an AoO against you (if you attack, then use it after and try to move away.)

Keep in mind as well that once Improved Invisibility is cast, the rogue loses no time maintaining the spell. But this spellnote requires a ME action for each disappearance, limiting actions and mobility.

River

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

Also, the short duration nullifies nearly any other use of being invisible except for a sneak attack, since out of combat it lasts less than six seconds.

Its also long enough to hide in shadows while being observed. A nifty ability some prestiege classes aspire to.

And as regards an earlier post regarding the call of gem spells:

Why quest to destroy the evil wizard when you can force him to teleport to your prepared ambush?

Won't the battle with the arch-villian be ever so anti-climactic when you paralyse him (no save) and coup de grace?

Its kind of hard to protect the infant king when the Evil-Ursurper can make his own body guards cut him down!

River

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Psion said:

Oh, there'll be one. As I said, I only just finished reading it.
I thought as much, Psion! :p And so I mainly addressed the others here... :)

Good to hear that, though, anyway; I really enjoy your reviews. :)

Last edited:

Darkness said:

I did one - but it got accidently deleted. I'll do another pretty soon though. Maybe today...

-Zarrock

Vocenoctum

First Post
Re: Re: Comments on Eldrich 2 -or- Monte Cook crack addict?

Psion said:

You tell them what they can't use?

I tell them what I approve, and say everything else is on a case-by case basis. For me, this rarely takes more than a paragraph.

I just tell them everything from the non core stuff is case by case.

That said, I do agree with what others have said: this is much ado about nothing. This does not mean I use the alt.bard (or alt.sorcerer for that matter), but I dismiss them primabily because they do not properly fit the feel of the classes in my game, not balance concerns.

I didn't find them to be worth reading, since they didn't fit my idea of what a bard is. The Sorcerer led me to thinking of a sorcerer variant would be good, but I doubt I'll tinker with it any time soon. Most of the rest of the stuff didn't inspire me, so I'll most likely forget I even have EM2.
::shrug::

Remove ads