D&D General Common gaming clichés (and how to subvert them)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Some D&D situations/tropes are so cliché that you want to groan/run away the moment you encounter them!

With that in mind, how about listing out those situations/encounters but adding a twist that turns it from a cliché to a fun memorable experience.

So list one (or more if you really want) and then explain how you would change it to be a great experience instead.

I'll start:

Cliché:
The campaign begins in a tavern. The hooded stranger who has summoned the players beckons them to his table and begins to explain how he wishes to hire them for an important assignment. This can be hammed up for all it's worth.

Subversion:

Just as the players are about to go along with it or, more likely, as they are about to revolt from actually being subject to this scenario -
A massive dragon's tail sweeps through the wall and slams the "stranger" into opposite wall - mid speech. The Inn is under attack from a dragon. The players have to run, get patrons/employees to safety, negotiate, or otherwise deal with the dragon.

I did this with the start of my last campaign and the players had a ball - plus it led to an immediate hook of what the heck just happened and why.

R_J_K75

Legend
The zombie horde is just Bill Murray out playing golf.

BIll Murray.jpg

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Cliche (of which I wholeheartedly admit I'm guilty of playing!): Surly, scottish dwarves wielding battleaxes.

Subversion: Cheerful dwarf with a lisp, wielding a frying pan. :unsure:

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Cliché:
The campaign begins in a tavern. The hooded stranger who has summoned the players beckons them to his table and begins to explain how he wishes to hire them for an important assignment. This can be hammed up for all it's worth.
I have to say, the idea of starting in a tavern is fine as a standard. Taverns are, after all, public meeting places. I just hate when campaigns start there and no one knows each other, thus leading to some very awkward stares and bland attempts at roleplaying before being shoehorned into an adventure together.

One alternative to the tavern campaign opener that I've used repeatedly with new groups is that of the training session. I start the characters right in the middle of a goblin hunt, tracking down a group that has kidnapped a local. They find the hostage, suspiciously left alone in a clearing, and have to go about the next steps. It usually ends up in a "TPK" where all the players are like WTF?!? only to be revealed that it was all a training exercise with the local militia.

This serves to give players a heads up as to just how deadly the game can be and not to underestimate opponents, or how fickle the dice are. In every scenario, this has lead to players being cautious on subsequent encounters.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Aw, man, don’t be messing with the classic meet-in-a-tavern campaign start! It’s a classic for a reason!
Nothing wrong with taverns. Mysterious strangers who want to meet the group (in the tavern) and hand out a mysterious quest - well that gets old fast.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have to say, the idea of starting in a tavern is fine as a standard. Taverns are, after all, public meeting places. I just hate when campaigns start there and no one knows each other, thus leading to some very awkward stares and bland attempts at roleplaying before being shoehorned into an adventure together.
Yeah, starting with the PCs never having met before is generally ill-advised, whether you start in a tavern or elsewhere. (I’ll admit to it being a guilty pleasure of mine anyway though.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases