• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Common High-Level Tactics

Imre

First Post
The ghost touch weapon/blinking thing is very popular, but it doesn't work. I'd suggest reading the "There, not There" series of rules articles on the wotc website.

Also, I'm assuming that the energy drain/enervation combo you're using on different foes, because the damage doesn't stack.

And you can only have one contingency spell active at a time.

It would be interesting for someone to post something that doesn't rely completely on spells and having some indefinite number of rounds to buff yourself beforehand because Disjunction has a way of undoing all of that very quickly. My players found that out pretty early in my epic campaign.

ruleslawyer

Imre said:
The ghost touch weapon/blinking thing is very popular, but it doesn't work. I'd suggest reading the "There, not There" series of rules articles on the wotc website.
Why do you need a ghost touch weapon? Just use blinking to get full SA.

As for post-disjunction tactics: I recommend an AMF for the fighters and a prismatic sphere for the casters. The fighters can wade into battle while the casters re-buff.

hong

WotC's bitch
ruleslawyer said:
Why do you need a ghost touch weapon? Just use blinking to get full SA.

Blink has 20% miss chance on your own attacks. The ghost touch is (theoretically) to bypass this.

hong

WotC's bitch
Angel of Adventure said:
For wizards, Time Stop, Prismatic Sphere above enemies, then Reverse Gravity.

Its great success!
?

Prismatic sphere:
Effect: 10 ft radius sphere centered on you

I suppose you could fly above the bad guys and then cast prismatic sphere....

Last edited:

helium3

First Post
Yeah, and prismatic wall doesn't work either since the spell description specifically states that the wall is vertical.

A lot of the high level tactics that people whine about have more to do with players and DM's not reading the complete text of the rule.

Why, just last Sunday I had to explain to the party cleric that he couldn't use destruction on the Lich we were fighting, since undead are immune to spell effects that require fort saves that do not also affect objects. And I'm not the DM.

Maybe this speaks to the game being too complicated if players are unwilling to make the time to familiarize themselves with the ins and outs of what they're trying to do.

That being said, there's nothing that would prevent a high level wizards from casting prismatic wall and then using heightened violent thrusts to throw opponents into it.

lukelightning

First Post
Heck, with the "TSPSRG" (Time Stop Prismatic Sphere Reverse Gravity) tactic, you can cast time stop, move right up to your enemy, enclose them in your prismatic sphere, cast reverse gravity then move away. When your time stop expires they fall up into the top of the sphere, taking damage...but they are still trapped!

As for prismatic wall, yeah, it's vertical, but woulding colliding with the edge be even worse than colliding with the side?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Err, guys, "You can pass into and out of the prismatic sphere and remain near it without harm." You just time stop, fly up 20' over your foe, cast prismatic sphere, and watch the jollity. For extra fun, ready an action to dismiss reverse gravity as soon as your foe hits the top of the range... and he'll fall through the sphere a second time!

And I see Hong noted this in an edit.

That being said, we shouldn't totally hijack this into a rules discussion. :)

Other tactics:

- Cast earthquake to collapse the entire dungeon on the bad guys
- A PC was being chased through a portal on Sigil. He went through, spun around, and cast a gate to the negative material plane directly on the other side of the portal. He then dismissed the gate as soon as he saw that the pursuer had accidentally passed through it. Poor bad guy never had a chance!

Last edited:

lukelightning

First Post
I'm not the best tactician, so my "high level tactics" are virtually the same as my low level ones, but with "bigger guns."

That being said, I am planning on making use of black tentacles followed up with a cloudkill. Trap the enemies, then poison 'em with the cloudkill for a couple rounds (a couple 'cuz I'm hoping their dead by the third round).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Time stop --> solid fog --> cloudkill --> that spell that prevents teleporting in an area (dimension lock?) --> any number of spells that do damage over an area.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads