• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'Community' to have a Dungeons & Dragons episode

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I was just going to post that I swear I saw the Essentials book in front of Troy during the game. Nice product placement WOTC ;)

Yeah, I immediately noticed this as well.

So I yelled "They've mixed versions! This is not accurate!", and then snorted, scrunched up my face, and pushed the glasses up my nose with my index finger.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
*MINOR SPOILER*
I'm kinda curious why the DM rolled all the dice. I've been gaming for 20+ years and never had a DM do that. In fact, most of the people I've gamed with would walk out of a game if the DM insisted on rolling all the dice.

I think the 1E DMG actually suggests a game where the DM is the only one rolling the dice. I've never actually played that way and wouldn't enjoy it, but I'm pretty sure that was a noted option.

Fast Learner

First Post
They handled the whole thing extremely well. It was funny and managed to both mock D&D while at the same time showing why it's fun and need not be mocked.

Also, Chang's makeup was awesome, as was his death scene.

Edit to avoid two posts in a row: I wondered why they went with AD&D material instead of modern stuff. Was that just to make the "I won D&D, and it was Advanced!" line?

Why you ask?

That particular edition was needed and used for a single purpose- to set up one of the best lines on TV ever:

" I WON DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, AND IT WAS ADVANCED! "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

( I was paralyzed with laughter for 1d6 rounds after hearing that)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I think they used "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" to keep with the theme of the way they name their episodes. Each episode title could be the name of a community college class - "Basic Genealogy," "Advanced Criminal Law," "Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking," etc. "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" fits the mold, if you think of Dungeons and Dragons as a "subject."

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I think they used "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" to keep with the theme of the way they name their episodes. Each episode title could be the name of a community college class - "Basic Genealogy," "Advanced Criminal Law," "Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking," etc. "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" fits the mold, if you think of Dungeons and Dragons as a "subject."

That's definitely a big part of it. I also think they chose 1e AD&D rather than the current game because that's the edition that was out during D&D's heyday as a pop culture fad - even if you never played the game, you could recognize it. And while Fat Neal seemed a little too young to be a 1e enthusiast, the older Chevy Chase fans (which probably includes a lot of lapsed D&D players) that watch the show probably remember that edition - whether they ever played D&D or not. Those folks aren't going to recognize or relate to "strikers" and "martials" and "feats" and "daily powers". And it had to be the recognizable D&D - those people wouldn't have a clue what Pathfinder even is either.

fba827

Adventurer
I wondered why they went with AD&D material instead of modern stuff. Was that just to make the "I won D&D, and it was Advanced!" line?

I would think there was the humor factor ("It's Advanced") but also all versions of D&D are pretty much called "D&D" (regardless of edition).

So if your choice is to use the name "D&D" or "Advanced D&D" well, "Advanced D&D" says the name D&D and more, so why not go with that for the possible humor play-off as well as the idea that this isn't your starter set for grandmas but hardcore d&d ... ;)

Edit: The idea (mentioned above) of it fitting with the titling theme of the episodes such that it could be a course name is also another good reason.

Edit2: Definitely a fun episode over all though.

Last edited:

Cyronax

Explorer
massawyrm.JPG

Old School Problem Player.

Awesome.

Liked the blackface drow actor the best.

C.I.D.

Remove ads