Companion Characters as PCs

S'mon

Legend
I had two new players drop in at the same time. One guy got given a simple DMG2 Companion PC to run, half a page of A4. The other got a fully detailed 7th level PC crafted on the Online Character Builder by his friend Kim.

The guy with the proper PC could not make head nor tail of his character sheet, struggled through a few games, slowed things to a crawl, and now seems to have dropped out.

The guy with the Companion Character loved it, and has been back most weeks since. He has now produced a lovely, beautifully painted miniature of his guy. The character is very simple, but hits like a truck and is well armoured; tactical positioning gives him options in combat.

I couldn't help feeling that for many players, the game works far better at Companion Character level of complexity. What do you think?

fenriswolf456

First Post
It really just comes down to the player and the level of complexity that they enjoy for a character. A lot of people like the design aspect of building a character, choosing their traits as they level. Lots like to have tons of options in a fight. Others like to just swing their weapon and smash things. Personally, I've played companion-type characters (those statted as monsters) and I find them boring as all get out (I like options). I don't imagine many in my group would enjoy companion-type characters, we really enjoy complexity. But I can certainly see that it would be a good option for some players.

Were these drop-ins new to 4th? To role-playing in general? Throwing a fully made 7th level character at a person with no familiarity with the game can be very daunting, especially with some of the class types. Personally, I would have been more inclined to encourage that player to make their own character, with some help for developing ideas and combinations of abilities. I find it a lot easier to understand how a character works if I made them, rather than being just given a sheet of a character that might not even interest me.

S'mon

Legend
Here's my 'elite Companion Character' stats, intended to equal a regular level 8 PC:

KARVOL OF ORLBAR, Royal Guard to Queen Valeris the Red.
Elite Companion Character. Role: Striker Level: 8
Medium natural humanoid (human) XPV 700
HP 65; Bloodied 32
Healing Surges: 10
Surge Value: 16
AC 24
Fortitude 20
Reflex 21
Will 19
Speed 5
Action Points: 1 Initiative +9
Perception +11

Standard Actions
m Glaive (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Reach 2; +13 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage
M Powerful Strike (weapon) • Recharge 5-6
Attack: Reach 2; +13 vs. AC
Hit: 3d8 + 10 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
R Crossbow (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 20; +12 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 4 damage.
Human Heroic Effort (Encounter Power, No Action): May add +4 to an Attack Roll or Saving Throw after rolling, once per encounter.
Skills Athletics +12 (+13,-2), Perception +11, Intimidate +11, Endurance+11 (+13,-2)
Str 19 (+8) Dex 17 (+7) Wis 14 (+6)
Con 18 (+8) Int 13 (+5) Cha 15 (+6)
Alignment any Languages Common
Equipment Masterwork lv 6 platemail (base +9 AC, -2 armour check penalty), Glaive, Crossbow, crossbow bolts (20)

nogray

Adventurer
Simplicity is often attractive to new players (assuming either "new to 4e" or "new to D&D/RPGs" and not just "new to your group), but that might not be the only turn-off. With a 7th level character, you are dealing with at least the following powers: two (or three) at-wills, three encounters (plus possible racial), two dailies, and two utilities. Depending on how the character was built, there could be a lot more, as with divine characters having channel divinity, items with powers, etc. It can be a lot to process, especially when also dealing with the newness of RPGs in general.

Contrast this with companion characters (one or two encounters, maybe a daily or recharge, etc.) or an essentials martial character or elementalist sorcerer, and you can see some option overload that can easily lead to analysis paralysis and distract a new player from the fun. Add that to the fact that many default character sheets don't really help out with their presentation of abilities, and you have a real potential problem.

The basic character sheet outputs for the various character builders that I've seen or worked with are less than friendly to a new player. They don't organize things in a meaningful way. They are cluttered with things you don't necessarily need to know, and the things you do need aren't necessarily really easy to find or interpret. Even as a veteran player, I prefer my own combat control sheets and an abbreviated skills/other options sheet to any of the character sheet outputs I've seen. If I were introducing a new player to the game, I'd not only lovingly craft their character, but I would also lovingly craft a page or two to distill all that information down in a similar way. See the sblock for notes and examples of control sheets.

[sblock="''How to Make a Character Sheet;'' or, ''Better Presentation for Newbies''"]Generally, one page is enough for a heroic character, but paragons seem to get crowded on just one sheet, so I would likely spread that to two pages for a new player. I think epics will fit on just the two pages, too, but that remains to be seen, and introducing a new player in late paragon or epic might be a stretch, regardless of the presentation.

The first page would have the first three "power cards" from the old offline builder. These are the basic attributes (including hit points, defenses, speed, initiative, and passive perception and insight scores), a skill summary, and the action point card. Below that (2/3 of a page for this), I would add a few other circumstantial notes -- resists, defense adjustments, etc -- and a nice, large area for tracking hit points, statuses, and surges, complete with notes for what they mean where needed.

The second sheet would be a page about actively running the character. It would group the various powers by their action types along with notes of how the actions can be spent without using powers, like Standard Action: Improvise something cool, possibly calling for a skill check. Notes for the powers are also included, though in abbreviated form.[/sblock]For a really new player, it would be advisable to have a simple character and a friendly format. That is likely one of the benefits of companion characters, too, but also simpler strikers (ranger, essentials elemental sorcerer, slayer) work well here. The more complex the character, though, the more useful a good presentation can be.

S'mon

Legend
The guy who struggled had been given an Essentials Marshall PC btw, a Thief, 7th level based on a 4th level Thief of mine. I found the character quite easy to play when I created him with pencil & paper, so I suspect the online charbuilder was partly to blame.

The guy who struggled had been given an Essentials Marshall PC btw, a Thief, 7th level based on a 4th level Thief of mine. I found the character quite easy to play when I created him with pencil & paper, so I suspect the online charbuilder was partly to blame.
Thieves are something you need to get your head round. Either you understand the tricks or you have to be walked through them. And you need to figure out Combat Advantage. They are much subtler as a class than they look!

I'd go for four classes that I consider as simple as Companion Classes for new PCs.

1: Slayer
2: Knight
3: Hunter
4: Elementalist Sorceror

With all the first three I'd give them a custom half side of A4 as a writeup rather than the character sheet and power cards. From experience I've found a pregen full PC knight designed to feel big*, and a pregen Hunter (with Twin Strike) both to be effective for new players.

* Dwarf with a magic craghammer that knocks all enemies around him down whenever he reduces someone to 0hp. Stances: Hammer Hands with Bludgeon Expertise and Defend the Line with World Serpent's Grasp. So it's either slamming the enemy backwards into something nasty or knocking them down. Simple and evocative - and level 9 wasn't a problem.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
This could easily be true; whenever I look at a CB character sheet, I have to stare at it for a good minute before I get a sense of it. And those power cards, ugh!

The guy who hasn't returned may also be one of the many gamers who start learning the game by making their own character. I never ever just hand a new player a pregen, because IME most want to do it themselves and I think it's an important part of the learning curve.

I've introduced a couple brand new gamers to 4e, who both made their own first characters -- and mind you, I don't allow E classes -- and I had to explain surprisingly little to them once the game actually began. And one played a rogue!

S'mon

Legend
I've introduced a couple brand new gamers to 4e, who both made their own first characters -- and mind you, I don't allow E classes -- and I had to explain surprisingly little to them once the game actually began. And one played a rogue!

Yes, I think Kimberly might have made a mistake making his character for him. *I* really struggled to make head or tail of the PC's online CB character sheet, and it was basically my old PC with 3 extra levels! The old offline charbuilder PC sheets seem a lot better to me, but for Essentials PCs I think doing it yourself with pencil & paper is the way to go.

Remove ads