D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor: Species

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Well I've played both Dwarves and Halflings and enjoyed them both (though I much preferred the 4e versions, heck, I think I prefer 4e race design better in general) so I'm not suuuuper mad they were there to the top.

Warforged, Lizardfolk, Dragonborn, Goblin, Kobold, I would have been fine with any of them winning too.
Being perfectly honest, all I really wanted was dragonborn to make it into the top 5.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't remember us having two whole threads about how much people hate dragonborn without saying they hate them on here.
We, uh, kind of did actually. It wasn't explicitly about just dragonborn, but...well, it wasn't hard to read between the lines on the "True Exotics" thread and...I don't remember the title of the other one.

Scribe

Legend
As usual, it has little to do with what is powerful or well-made or well-liked, and everything to do with "does it attract hatred?" Dragonborn got torn down because there are several users on this forum who genuinely believe they don't deserve to exist in D&D,* and it was solely because I (and a couple other people) were actively propping them up that they merely slowly bled out rather than being destroyed in short order. Likewise, there was a crusade to eliminate the "anthropomorphics"/"animal people"/"furries," and another to eliminate the perceived unfairness of tieflings getting an enormous number of "slots."

I mean Tiefling got obliterated as a bloc. It was only by the efforts of a few that Variant lasted as long as it did.

Dragonborn certainly get less hate than the furry types.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I mean Tiefling got obliterated as a bloc. It was only by the efforts of a few that Variant lasted as long as it did.
I frankly sort of understand that one though. Tieflings had one hundred points on the board. 30 more points than the next-highest option (elves), and more than 150% of most of the "large" options (humans, dragonborn, halflings, etc.) That's a legitimate reason to be like "eeeeehhh, you need to be brought down a peg there friend." It just kept going, as this sort of thing is wont to do, sadly.

Dragonborn certainly get less hate than the furry types.
They're sort of in a liminal space. They're like furries, because they're "animal + person," but the type of animal they are is a sapient being and "half-dragon" has been part of the collective D&D milieu for ages, so they can't just be kicked to the curb either. Conversely, actual "furry" races tend to be somewhat more banal. I'm convinced about half the hate dragonborn get is exclusively because people hear "it's a dragon that's also a person" and make the emotional connection "oh so now you just get ALL THE POWERS OF A DRAGON? all the IMPORTANCE of a dragon? No, screw you, you're not allowed to claim that at level 1." Which is why they're such a lightning rod. The fans who love them adore them, and the anti-fans who oppose them (at least seem to) despise them.

Scribe

Legend
I frankly sort of understand that one though. Tieflings had one hundred points on the board. 30 more points than the next-highest option (elves), and more than 150% of most of the "large" options (humans, dragonborn, halflings, etc.) That's a legitimate reason to be like "eeeeehhh, you need to be brought down a peg there friend." It just kept going, as this sort of thing is wont to do, sadly.

Sure. If I had not been attacked, I would have been downvoting the other Tieflings myself, because the 4e Tiefling shouldnt exist. :p

I'm convinced about half the hate dragonborn get is exclusively because people hear "it's a dragon that's also a person" and make the emotional connection "oh so now you just get ALL THE POWERS OF A DRAGON? all the IMPORTANCE of a dragon? No, screw you, you're not allowed to claim that at level 1." Which is why they're such a lightning rod. The fans who love them adore them, and the anti-fans who oppose them (at least seem to) despise them.

I dont know, either I blocked those people, or they blocked me. I dont think Dragonborn get remotely that level of hate.

Undrave

Legend
Sure. If I had not been attacked, I would have been downvoting the other Tieflings myself, because the 4e Tiefling shouldnt exist. :p

I dont know, either I blocked those people, or they blocked me. I dont think Dragonborn get remotely that level of hate.
The 5e PHB Dragonborn is kinda boring tho…

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I have had a user on this very forum tell me, openly, to be happy that Dragonborn got included in the PHB at all. (That person doesn't hate them, it's worth noting. They were trying to communicate "there are enough haters that you should consider it a victory just to be included.")

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases