• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Dungeons of Dread Photo Gallery

Thanks to L.T. I will be 'dipping' some of them in varnish to see how it goes. I'll start with some old 'elf raiders' I have far too many off. Will post a thread in the minis section if anyone is interested.
Note: I am not a painter but if a quick dip in some varnish makes the details stand out I am willing to give it a go :)

Beckett

Explorer
The troglodyte reminds me of the frost dwarf from Wardrums. Everything else, I'm more or less happy with. And a lot of them look better up close than in the gallery.

I have a beholder! Yay! Never drew one in the previous sets, and wasn't willing to pay what I saw it going for on Ebay.

I'm a bit bummed that out of six packs, I got one gnoll. Besides thinking it's a spiffy mini, I'd already planned that gnolls were going to play a major role in my game; the 4E stats confirmed that I wanted to use a bunch of them. *sigh* Guess I'll have to make do with the dozen or so from previous sets.

I like this wyvern better than the earlier wyvern. I'm also fond of the dire wolf, although I think it's bigger than the earlier dire bear.

frankthedm

First Post
Egads that old vrock was ugly.
Henrix said:
The new vrock
NewVrock1.jpg
Ehh. It would look so much better if the beak was a bit longer. Also, it is a smidge smaller than I had hoped it would be.

105720.jpg

Well, at least Partha/ Iron wind metal still has this fig . {All it needs is feathered wings}
e6941at3.jpg

Felon

First Post
Riley said:
I received my case of DOD minis today, and I am quite happy with them. I have to say that many of them look a lot better in person than in the gallery.

These were great:
Dwarf Warlord
Eye of Flame
Everfrost Ranger
Howling Hag
Immolith

These were pleasant surprises:
Bulette
Gnoll Marauder - an ambitious sculpt for a common, and nice textures. I expect it'll look great once it's been dipped.
Halfling Paladin - the best DDM halfling I've seen yet
Kobold Archer
Shadowhunter Bat
Warrior Wight

And, as usual, there were some duds:
Grick
Orc Raider
Troglodyte Bonecrusher
- although I have hopes that the Trog and Orc will benefit greatly from dipping.

I got my set today as well and have to say I am quite happy. My faves:

Bulette
Gnoll Maurauder
Eye of Flame
Dwarf Warlord
Dwarf Shieldmaiden (the clincher was the rear view of her cloak made of interlocking plates)
Young SIlver Dragon
Balhannoth
Champion of Baphomet
Rakshasa Baron
Bugbear Headreaver
Hook Horror
Oni

Espacially great are those last three!

Now, I gotta ask, what exactly is that clieric of Pelor holding in front of him? :confused: I thought my mini was broken, because it looks like the lower half of a hafted weapon (i.e. a mace)

And what is the lamia doing? Growing feathers? Turning into a pile of leaves?

Riley said:
Gnoll Marauder - an ambitious sculpt for a common, and nice textures. I expect it'll look great once it's been dipped....

And, as usual, there were some duds:
Grick
Orc Raider
Troglodyte Bonecrusher
- although I have hopes that the Trog and Orc will benefit greatly from dipping.
Ok so I take it you are a dip expert? Or at least you have some experience;). Would you mind posting up a little about your techniques hints and before & after phots on the mini painting board?
I am going to dip some of my more disappointing minis and any help would be appreciated. I am a painting newb (nothing since I was a teen) and I will be trying dipping. The board has info dipping but not much as applies directly to DnD minis.
Thanks M1.9P

lutecius

Explorer
wow. I was mostly unimpressed by the preview art for 4e, but these minis just look like something from a happy meal.

they even botched creatures that did look good in Worlds & Monsters, like the vrock and the wyvern, even though the sculpts were clearly based on the drawings (or maybe because of it?)

the sculpts range from just ok to plain silly.
the paint job on the whole looks beyond yucky.

now i'm wondering which is worse, the minis or the DDI character creator.

Hairfoot

First Post
Pretty rotten. I can only assume that WotC is making them on the cheap with the intention of selling lots, so my prediction is that 4E will lean heavily toward mass combats.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
mach1.9pants said:
Ok so I take it you are a dip expert? Or at least you have some experience;). Would you mind posting up a little about your techniques hints and before & after phots on the mini painting board?
I am going to dip some of my more disappointing minis and any help would be appreciated. I am a painting newb (nothing since I was a teen) and I will be trying dipping. The board has info dipping but not much as applies directly to DnD minis.
Thanks M1.9P

No, I've not dipped any miniatures. Yet. But a dozen commons with good texture details but really flat paint jobs seems like a good opportunity to try it out. If it fails, I've lost maybe $2 worth of minis.

If (when) I get around to trying it, I'll try to post some pictures there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads