D&D 2E [COMPLETE] Looking back at the limited series: Player's Option, Monstrous Arcana, Odyssey, and more!

Voadam

Legend
This was my favorite of this series as well.

This sparked more interest for me in Heironeous than any other D&D product.

Wasn't it not just the burial place of Ferrante but didn't it have a dungeon under the temple filled with undead that reformed each night and got more powerful as you went deeper into the dungeon until you got to Ferrante's casket?

My memory was that the temple used this as both a surface level secret (we are protecting everyone from an evil underneath with our concentrated holiness over it) and a training ground for new clerics/paladins by sending them into the safe skeleton/zombie levels where they can get experience live fighting minor undead even though they reform the next night.

That seemed the best low level Danger Room type training scenario in any D&D adventure I had seen. Normally those types of things seem cheesy and poorly thought out thematically to and look like they would be frustrating delays on actual adventuring, but the backstory here makes it really work for me as something I might run.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's the end of the game world as we know it.

And I roll dice.

Now is the beginning of the end, in more ways than one. Originally I overlooked these final few adventures, but quickly went back and added them in once I realized how perfect they were to close out the second retrospective of old AD&D 2E products. And what better product to name these "Apocalypse Adventures" after than the first one published, The Apocalypse Stone.

While I suspect that everyone knows this already, the "Apocalypse Adventures" are notable for the different ways that they take on the same task, which is ending your AD&D 2E campaign in preparation for D&D Third Edition. Namely, The Apocalypse Stone is meant to bring about an end (or, alternatively, transform) your homebrew setting. The Dungeon of Death is just meant to bring about a TPK. Finally Die Vecna Die! overhauls the canon D&D multiverse (i.e. the Great Wheel).

That Wizards of the Coast (who by the time these were published had owned TSR for a few years) took such different approaches to the same task is something I still regard with admiration. While having in-game reasons for changing up editions wasn't anything new by this point – WG8 Fate of Istus brought Greyhawk from 1E to 2E, while the Avatar Trilogy (i.e. FRE1 Shadowdale, FRE2 Tantras, and FRE3 Waterdeep) would do the same for the Forgotten Realms, which rather oddly left Dragonlance out in the proverbial cold – this was the first time, and the last, that they'd offer up a multi-pronged approach designed for different levels of obtrusiveness in terms of changing up your game. (There might be something similar in Mayfair Games' Apocalypse boxed set, released as part of their Role-Aids line, but I confess I haven't pulled that off the shelf in quite some time.)

Of course, it should be noted that The Apocalypse Stone doesn't necessarily need to be used with a homebrew; the module has suggestions for where it can be set in various campaign worlds. But the nature of the adventure requires some premises about the nature of the world that make it semi-incompatible with most published settings. Namely, that it all rests around the Stone of Corbinet, the game world's version of the Foundation Stone, and what happens when it's removed from its axis mundi...which is basically that the world is irrevocably doomed. Tell 'em, Spoony!

See, the Stone has been guarded by a long line of protectors who live in the teleporting castle where it's housed. And that worked just fine until the brother of the current protector (who was always a bad seed), a guy named Garloth, went nuts with jealousy and entitlement when he wasn't chosen to inherit the title, at which point he proved that he never deserved it in the first place by driving his brother mad and polymorphing everyone else in the castle into monsters. He didn't actually take the Stone though, because this Big Bad Evil Guy's line can't personally handle the Stone that they've been charged to protect (and our villain conveniently doesn't know that removing the Stone will pull the plug on the entire world), which is why he needs some unsuspecting dupes to grab it for him.

Enter the PCs.

At this point, the setup is relatively clear: the group is sent on what looks like a fairly typical (almost stereotypical) fetch-quest, where they're given the means to track down the castle from it's current location on a remote island, slay the monstrous inhabitants, and fetch the stone. It should be noted that the book is very blatant in telling the DM about how much this should be hidden from the PCs. It not only outlines how Garloth seeds the campaign with fake tales (told by unsuspecting bards and actors hired to pose as sages) of a quest to recover the stone as a challenge by the gods, but it also cautions the DM against letting the players know what this adventure is, to the point of saying "Don't let them see the cover of this book!"

So, in other words, the PCs should be if at all possible tricked into being the ones who actually doom the world...which I suspect is something the players will have mixed feelings about if that actually goes off without a hitch. I mean, it's better than saying "by the way, someone else has doomed the setting, and there's nothing you guys can do about it except wrap up some loose ends before the world goes kaput," but at the same time I just don't see a lot of characters reacting well to having one pulled over on them, at least not when it's this serious.

Actually, I think it's less about what happens than it is the entire premise being based around deceiving your players in order to end the campaign. Don't get me wrong, DMs have to be less than totally honest with their players a lot of the time, but isn't ending the campaign world (and, presumably, switching to a new system, since that's clearly what this book wants) the sort of thing that you should talk to your PCs about before doing it? I dunno, this just...feels like it's the D&D equivalent of your landlord telling you that you have until the end of the week to move out.

To further drive home the deception, the book then tells you to run some other adventure, since it takes time for the campaign world to begin going to pieces (exactly how long is up in the air; the book deliberately uses undefined "time units" so as to let DMs set their own pace in that regard). Meanwhile, there's a long list of stuff that happens, since the loss of the Stone cuts the world off from the planes of existence. As a result, no one can be restored to life, and the newly dead are ghosts trapped in the Border Ethereal (which is apparently part of the world itself), clerics start losing their powers, undead and extraplanar beings are weakened, and of course you have your usual array of cataclysmic signs: fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

The major part of this interlude, it should be noted, is that none other than Grand Duke Moloch, the deposed lord of Hell's sixth layer, just so happened to be hiding out on your campaign world while waiting to make his triumphant return to Hell. Now he's stuck on a dying world, and he's beyond pissed off at your characters, and decides that if he can't get back to Hell, he'll bring Hell to them.

This is by far the darkest part of the book, and quite possibly the most grimdark of any official D&D publication. It starts off with Moloch's servants slaughtering the guests and staff at an inn that the PCs go to, disguising them all with magic, and then serving them "pork buns" that are actually (wait for it) made of people! They reveal the deception later, undoing the illusion in the middle of the night – revealing that the PCs were, in fact, sleeping on sharp razors rather than featherbeds – to showcase the slaughter, along with a cordial note telling them what they ate.

To be fair, the module warns against the PCs actually eating the pork buns, and has a sidebar discussing the level of horror that's appropriate for something like this, but it's still shockingly hefty stuff...especially since the next thing that Moloch does is murder all of the PCs' families and friends, turn them into flesh golems, and send them after the party, complete with auditory illusions to make it sound like they're moaning in agony and demanding to know why the PCs let this happen to them.

Oh, and then he personally leads a kill squad to wipe the PCs out when they're conducting the funeral for their dead loved ones.

😲

Yeah...as it turns out, Hell's upper echelons tend to play for keeps.

It's after this that the adventure turns its attention to the last act, and this is where the premise starts to get a little awkward. See, the God of Justice (who really should have brackets around his title, considering how it's a generic stand-in for whichever deity fits that bill in your game) sent an avatar to the world just before the PCs switched the stone, and now he wants them to put it back...after they pass a series of tests in which they prove their worthiness. That seems kind of stupid, since A) the world is doomed anyway (although the module does waffle a lot as to whether its fate is irrevocable or not), and B) why would you need to conduct tests of character when existence is on the line? I mean, is justice served by letting the world, with its myriad innocent people, be destroyed because some murderhobos couldn't prove they were generous enough or honorable enough to save it?

To its credit, the book tries to get around this by saying how the avatar is cut off from the full scope of its godly consciousness, and the gods themselves are bound by a pact when it comes to the Stone, etc. It's not much of a reason, but it works just enough to keep things going. Even then, the tests themselves seem to be largely designed to go against stereotypical PC behaviors, such as giving up major magic items, ignoring a chance to go hunting enemies worth a lot of XP, refusing to fight for others who bribe them with treasure, etc.

In theory, I can see how the above is a good idea, as it hearkens back to folk tales of righteousness and self-sacrifice, where the strength of spirit is more important than strength of arms (or magic), but if anything this strikes me as a section that highlights why those don't work in Dungeons & Dragons, i.e. they result in tangible penalties in a game where authorial fiat can't make them poetically appropriate. Being honorable, at the end of the day, won't earn them a +2 on attack and damage rolls, which helps to kill the bad guys who are preventing you from saving the world. So really, this entire section seems like it's going through the motions with no sense that it's dancing to the beat of a different tune. It could have been better.

Presuming that the PCs prove themselves worthy, they go back to the old castle, where the not-dead-yet king who was in charge of protecting the Stone has now recovered enough of his sanity to send them to his evil brother's keep. Garloth, of course, is busy trying (and failing) to find a way off-world. So the PCs break in, kill him and his minions, get the Stone, and...then things end, in whichever manner (death or rebirth) the DM thinks is appropriate.

If that sounds a little abrupt, the book does spend a good ten pages or so going over the various options. It says, for instance, that you could have Garloth's final ritual work, and the PCs are there as he manages to transport his keep to another world (or out onto the planes), and you can continue the campaign in a different setting. Or you could say that the world is saved, but that it's noticeably changed from how it was (and, rather hilariously, it outlines these changes in such a way that D&D Third Edition reflects them perfectly, saying how wizards around the world were looking for answers to what was happening and accidentally discovered metamagic (feats) in the process, orcs swarmed into human territory and now half-orcs are everywhere, a lot of people turned inward in search of answers and now monks are more common, etc.).

Interestingly, it also has four new kits for death knight PCs (one kit for each class type) representing them being cursed by the gods for their part in what happened. It's not exactly the same as what you'll find in Requiem: The Grim Harvest, since these are more punishing to play (i.e. the "godly curse" part of it), but it's still an interesting idea to consider, if you want to take things in a radical new direction? Amusingly, in what almost seems like a way to close out the page-count, it also has an artifact presentation for the Stone of Corbinet itself, along with the special armor Garloth wore (since, being a wizard, they needed a way to let him wear enchanted platemail without ruining his spellcasting ability).

Overall, The Apocalypse Stone is a decent adventure, albeit one that at times wants to be a sourcebook to discuss the various reasons, methods, and consequences of the death/rebirth of a campaign world. The major issue is that, in trying to tailor things to a one-size-fits-all approach, they necessarily lay down some ideas that might not mesh with what's already here. More than that, while the seriousness of the situation is impressed with everything from epic dungeon-crawling (i.e. the castle where the Stone is housed, which is now full of high-level monsters) to horror (i.e. Moloch's revenge) to exalted idealism (i.e. the tests of character), these elements don't seem to fit well together, clashing more than complementing each other. Throw in the indeterminate nature of how things end, and it doesn't feel as epic as it could have been.

The answer, I think, is to treat this as an outline more than a hard-and-fast adventure. With some tailoring, especially for the tests, could make this into a truly impressive presentation, albeit one that would be specific to your campaign world. Even if it does end it. But at least this takes things out with a bang instead of a whimper.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
It was the 90s, so it was the style of the time. As the 90s ended, so too did the interest in metaplot.

Its not a coincidence that the game line most noted for metaplot (WoD) ended their metaplot as the 90s ended. Style shifted.

Wizards was very forward-looking in understanding that interest in extensive metaplot was dying. The days of people buying supplements to read instead of play at the table grew the market for books but it couldn't last forever.

(And I say this as a person whose favorite game in the 90s was absolutely embedded in "metaplot" - Torg).
the metaplot stuff started in the late 80's with the "Time of Troubles" in forgotten realms. Even then it seemed to be about a halfway split of people that loved it and people that were annoyed by it. I did like 2e though. I loved most of it, except for the never ending splat books of stupid stuff no DM would ever use. I still think it was the best designed version of D&D to date. Everything since has been add something and then redesign everything to balance it, rinse repeat, ad nauseum.

nevin

Hero
I complained about metaplot and railroading back then too; the need to alter every game world to match whatever novel came out.

I never had a problem with THAC0 though.
/nod but for awhile some of the books were making them more money than the game was. I think that fact hurt the game a lot. For awhile Hickman and Salvatore had more influence over changes in the game than wizards did.

Orius

Legend
College of Wizardry is my personal favorite of the three stronghold books. I'm probably just partial to wizards. It probably helps that the ideas here got a somewhat rudimentary upgrade to 3e in Tome and Blood. The clunky NWP rules for the Language Primeval got updated to metamagic feats, and the Spellcrux had updated mechanics as well. Unfortunately the biggest impact was probably that the Order became the basis for one of the more abused PrCs. I've also always like Mathghamhna itself and the way Cordell structured it.

Bastion of Faith is okay but it's mostly structured on a typical Christian abbey, and that's not terribly fresh or interesting. The story with Ferrante isn't bad though. I'd possibly gripe about it being tied in with Heironeous, but my own homebrew campaign has an equivalent god so that's no big deal.

The Apocalypse Stone didn't really interest me. I didn't feel the need to blow up my world to make room for 3e. Blowing up the campaign world to kick off a new edition isn't something I like to do because I'm more interested in building a long term campaign world. Also at the time the campaign I was working on was still pretty new fresh, taking some advice from Ray Winninger's Dungeoncraft column in Dragon. It wasn't too hard to shift over when I was putting the fundamentals in place. I did find WotC's ad campaign for these adventures as a bunch of cleaning products to clean out a cluttered campaign amusing, though.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Any way you slice it, The Dungeon of Death is an odd duck.

By any casual perusal, it shouldn't really be considered part of the "Apocalypse Adventures" mini-series, since unlike the other two adventures under that banner it doesn't herald any sort of spectacular end/changes to a game world; instead, its purpose is simply to kill off your PCs so that a new campaign can be started (i.e. a D&D Third Edition campaign). It was only because it was included in the advertising (in Dragon that I saw, though it may have been elsewhere) that talked about closing out a campaign that it was put alongside the likes of The Apocalypse Stone and Die Vecna Die!

The module itself, however, is given the "Dungeon Crawl" label, which makes it part of the series of Forgotten Realms adventures which include Undermountain: The Lost Level, Undermountain: Maddgoth's Castle, Undermountain: Stardock, Hellgate Keep, and The Lost Shrine of Bundushatur (that last one being the only non-FR adventure, being an old RPGA tournament module that was dusted off for AD&D 2E release). Naturally, The Dungeon of Death is the final entry in the series, since that particular header was (like so many mini-series) retired for good with the end of AD&D 2E.

But by far the most notable thing about The Dungeon of Death, at least to my mind, is what it isn't.

Coming out only three months before the release of D&D 3E, this was the final Forgotten Realms product to be released for AD&D Second Edition. Given that, and that it was released as part of a set of adventures that were designed to shake campaign worlds to their foundations, you'd have thought that this would have been a "Realms-Shaking Event," as the fan community likes to call them.

It wasn't.

That's notable, because it makes the 2E -> 3E transition the only time over the life of D&D (unless you count 3.0 -> 3.5 as a transition, which I don't) that the Forgotten Realms weren't blown up when it came time to change the game rules. 1E to 2E? Time of Troubles. 3E to 4E? Spellplague. 4E to 5E? The Sundering. But 2E to 3E? Nope! The game world just quietly kept going, assuming that the changes weren't ones that were noticed in-character. Which is pretty notable, since Netheril: Empire of Magic flat-out stated that, over the course of Toril's history, you used the rules in its boxed set prior to the Fall of Netheril, then used the AD&D 1E rules for that period until the Time of Troubles, and then used the AD&D 2E rules afterwards. To have things subsequently change so much without an in-game reason for it was quite the sea change!

Of course, that's all a bit beyond the scope of The Dungeon of Death. Rather, this dungeon, which was long since noted in Realmslore, even if only ever given a cursory overview, was written up to do exactly what was mentioned earlier: simply kill off your PCs so that you could pack AD&D 2E away and go out and buy Third Edition. Of course, the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting wouldn't come out until a year after this adventure was published, so that might have been a bit awkward for some groups (even if Into the Dragon's Lair and Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor came out almost exactly midway through that twelve-month period). But I digress...

Before going any further, I should make mention that my repeated mentions of this being a TPK dungeon is fait accompli. The module itself says nothing about this, explicitly or otherwise. In fact, the module itself is surprisingly light on backstory or meta-plot, to a degree that might seem nostalgic to veterans of First Edition. It does have a connection to Hellgate Keep, in that it presumes that adventure has been run and that it's now a year later (which by my reckoning puts it at 1371 DR). But that's more background than anything else; the annis hag who led the Blue Bear tribe of Uthgardt barbarians was a servitor of the nabassu tanar'ri who's the final boss of this dungeon, which doesn't ever really come up over the course of the adventure.

So what's here that makes this adventure so deadly? Well, bear in mind that it's deadliness for "three to six characters of 7th to 9th level," so a high-level character-killer this is not. I can't say that I disapprove of that, since it's right in the "sweet spot" that many think of when they reminisce about where D&D is at its best, but if you're running a group of 20th-level characters, don't expect this to be too deadly overall.

Which isn't to say that it's cakewalk, either. In what almost seems like an homage to S1 The Tomb of Horrors, most of the first level of the dungeon is filled with traps. From the classic pit traps to the diabolical tilting floor trap to the "always heard about it but never personally experienced it" huge ball rolling down a staircase trap, these are the sorts of things that will soften a party up nicely. That's no coincidence, as the aforementioned dungeon boss has put these here to weed out the adventurers that he thinks are too wimpy to bother devouring (which is kind of a big deal for nabassu demons). It's afterward that the hack-factor picks up, as you start running into demons, including a pair of alu-fiends who're the secondary antagonists (and one of which is a 10th-level wizard!).

But what really makes this place deadly is the Shadow Curse. Described as a manifestation of all the vile deeds performed at the Dungeon over its long years, the Shadow Curse is probably the clearest indication you'll find that this place isn't meant to be survived. See, the Shadow Curse makes it so that anyone (who isn't undead or extraplanar) who enters the Dungeon loses 1 point from their prime requisite (i.e. Strength for warriors, Dexterity for rogues, Intelligence for wizards, and Wisdom for priests, to use the class group names), which can only be regained at a rate of 1 point per day after you leave the dungeon.

Worse, it explicitly says that the PCs won't notice this until they're already down a quarter of their prime requisite. And since your prime requisite is virtually guaranteed to be your highest score, that means that you're likely going to be down there for at least a few hours. So unless you're absolutely powering through the place at breakneck speed, then you'll probably find yourself in a bad situation right at the worst possible moment.

Now, there are a few spells that can hold this at bay, and there are a (very) small number of safe areas where you won't lose any more points (but won't regain any, either), but this is virtually guaranteed to cost you at least a character or two, if not the whole party. I'm not quite sure if that wipes out the higher-level spells a mage prepares, since their Intelligence governed the maximum level of spells they could cast, but I suspect that it does. (EDIT: And of course, I should mention that if your prime requisite drops down to 0, you die.)

And...that's really it. Being only thirty-two pages long, and placing almost no emphasis on background and even less on build-up or resolution, this adventure feels almost perfunctory in its presentation. You'd never guess that its author was one-half of the team that brought us The Apocalypse Stone. It was quite the quiet send-off for the Forgotten Realms.

Of course, that might be because the Realms were still part of the Great Wheel cosmology back then, and our next entry in this list would see fit to blow up not just a single world, but the entire freakin' multiverse...

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Yeah, at the time I had no interest in the upcoming 3e and no interest in crashing my decade+ Greyhawk/Ravenloft campaign and I felt I had enough material to go on with 2e for the foreseeable future and for life even if D&D never produced anything new. These first two were just not anything that appealed to me in concept at the time. Now something involving both Greyhawk and Ravenloft though had a touch of interest . . . .

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Someone once said that it's better to burn out than to fade away. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm guessing it was on the minds of Bruce Cordell and Steve Miller when they wrote Die Vecna Die!, the final AD&D 2nd Edition adventure, and the last product to be examined in this retrospective.

Fun fact, the name of this adventure is actually German for "The Vecna The!"

There's so much to talk about here I barely know where to begin, which should be a positive indicator of just how much I love this module. There's just so much here! The sheer amount of lore that this makes use of is something which I'm starting to think we'll never see again in an official D&D product, as that style seems to have gone away with D&D's "Advanced" moniker. Which is a shame, because it means that this tome is worth its weight in gold to people who have an appreciation for the game's history (especially if they've played through that history themselves).

For instance, this is not only the end of AD&D 2E, but it's also the conclusion to the "Vecna Trilogy" of adventures: WGA4 Vecna Lives! and Ravenloft's Vecna Reborn. But it draws upon so, so much many more pieces of the holistic tapestry that 2E laid down, great and small. And to prove that I'm not just blowing smoke, here's a choice selection of little things that this adventure makes note of:

Vecna having been taken to Ravenloft was established in Domains of Dread, but it was the Greyhawk Player's Guide which established that this meant that Vecna couldn't grant spells above 2nd-level to his priests outside of Ravenloft. And yet his priests in Tovag Baragu have their full complement of spells. Why? Because this adventure says that they all have magic items called knucklebones of channeling which allow them to get all of their spells from Vecna! It's little details like that which really make this adventure great!

Or how about how, once Vecna breaks into Sigil at the end of the adventure, it says that the Lady of Pain is trying to force him out by channeling waves of terrible pain at him (which he's barely holding at bay)? That's a tidbit which was actually established in Harbinger House, another Planescape module that deals with gods in Sigil. Oh, and the cultists in Tovag Baragu have made a permanent one-way portal into Ravenloft, which isn't actually as odd as it sounds; page 11 of the book in the first Ravenloft campaign setting boxed set, Realm of Terror, talks about gates like that.

And of course, after being mentioned in the Monstrous Arcana books (and a few other places as well), Ronnasic of Sigil finally makes his appearance here as well.

But I'm getting way, way ahead of myself. Let's go over the plot in a nutshell: Vecna has plots within plots, and schemes within schemes. While getting drawn into Ravenloft following the events of WGA4 Vecna Lives! wasn't one of them, the events of Vecna Reborn were largely a feint to make the Dark Powers think that despite all his rage he was still just a rat in a cage. In fact, he was waiting for another plan to come to fruition, and now it has.

A long time ago, Vecna crafted tablets in the Language Primeval (a nod to College of Wizardry) talking about how one demigod could absorb another to become a true deity. Now Vecna's old enemy Iuz has found the tablet and learned of that plan, being determined to absorb Vecna, since the ritual calls for using a piece of the other demigod's body, and Vecna just so happens to have artifacts formed from his person. So Iuz lays siege to a temple of Vecna hidden deep within the "half-worlds" of Tovag Baragu, the standing stones in Greyhawk where the two of them had their last great confrontation. The PCs, finding out that Iuz is up to something, follow in pursuit.

Too late to stop Iuz's ransacking of the temple and taking the Eye of Vecna, the PCs will discover its counterpart, the Hand of Vecna, as well as numerous lesser relics that are also formed from Vecna's original body (note for completists: one more of these is introduced on page 65 of Dragon #359, the final print issue). Taking them - and I confess I'm not entirely sure how the PCs are supposed to hit upon the idea of grafting these relics onto their own bodies, since prior to this most of the lore around the Eye and the Hand suggests that doing so is the old "power corrupts" idiom on steroids - they pursue Iuz into the Demiplane of Dread, fighting their way through Vecna's realm of Cavitius (fun fact: Vecna's "secret library" is covered in Dragon #272 as a companion article to this adventure) just as the demigods meet.

That's when Vecna reveals that he's pulled a fast one: the ritual won't let Iuz absorb him, but rather will let him absorb Iuz, which he does, becoming a greater deity and easily shattering his prison in Ravenloft (which is also backed by Ravenloft lore; just look at what any incarnation of the campaign setting says about a horn of Valhalla) and using the demiplane's unique nature to force his way into Sigil.

From there, Vecna sets up a stronghold and waits, knowing that just by being there, he's undoing the city...and with it, the multiverse, since Sigil is the linchpin of the entire Great Wheel (something long speculated in the Planescape lore, and confirmed here); once it collapses, he'll be in the prime spot to construct a new multiverse the way he wants. The PCs, having Vecna's relics, are immune to Vecna's direct influence (which, again, seems backwards, but what do I know), and so if they go in and slay Vecna's avatar, will weaken him enough so that he can be forcibly ejected from the City of Doors, saving the multiverse. The Lady of Pain would do it herself, but she just had her blade headdress polished knows that if she uses her real power, Sigil would be torn down in an instant. So it's the PCs or no one.

Did I mention that this adventure is for PCs of 10th to 13th level?

All of that, and I've barely scratched the surface of what's here. For instance, most of the "half-worlds" of Tovag-Baragu are localized planes (not demi-planes) unto themselves, but at least one is an actual, full-on world, given only the briefest of overviews in a way that's highly reminiscent of the worlds you can reach from Lolth's domain in Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Another of the NPCs who joins the heroes (only to turn on them) once they get to Sigil is Autochon the Bellringer, originally described in Uncaged: Faces of Sigil. And of course, there's a genuine fake relic for the PCs to lose their heads over: the Head of Vecna. Yeah, even back in 2000 that particular story had already become a meme, and at this point the serpent (but not The Serpent, the mysterious overpower who is guiding Vecna) is officially eating its own tail.

Did you know that The Hand and The Eye are here too? Not the artifacts, but the servitors from WGA4; the guys who've had their heads replaced with a large hand and a large eye, respectively. You'll also find the Ravenloft versions of them – where The Hand is a flesh golem made entirely of hands, and The Eye is one made entirely of eyes – mentioned in Domains of Dread making an appearance as well. Oh, and don't worry, the Sword of Kas (the real one, since this retcons the one you found back in WGA4 to be a perfect replica) is here too!

I haven't even mentioned just how much detail is given to the various NPCs here. I mean, little things like making sure to use various titles for important priests of Vecna; remember how back in WGA4 it said how Vecna's church gave body-related titles to various parts of his clergy? That's here too, so some characters are the Fingers of Vecna, who are commanded by the Arm of Vecna, etc. That's not even mentioning how many characters (most of whom are given abbreviated stat blocks in the appendix) get a paragraph or two of backstory and/or personality overview. Like how there's a lich in Cavitius who enjoys using magic jar on some poor living waif in order to go on orgies of sex and murder (though the adventure frames it less bluntly), or the death knight who in life killed his wife and child before being cursed with undeath and eventually being sued for plagiarism by Lord Soth falling into Vecna's service.

Of course, in the same vein as The Apocalypse Stone, saving the multiverse doesn't mean that it's unscathed. Quite the contrary, this adventure (which is far less ambiguous about its assumption that the PCs save the multiverse than the aforementioned module was about presuming that your campaign world survived) was intended from the very start to justify the cosmology being changed for D&D 3E, although it goes into far less detail about the specifics therein.

It does mention a few things, however, such as the half-worlds growing and multiplying until there are many Material Planes, rather than just the one as AD&D 2E always maintained (though the idea of other Material Planes besides the "Prime" Material Plane was presented back in the AD&D 1E Manual of the Planes). It mentions a few other changes, saying that some Outer Planes "drift off and are forever lost, others collide and merge," which as far as I know was never subsequently held to be the case. Although it does say that "at least one Inner Plane runs 'aground' on a distant world on the Prime," which makes me notice how the 3E Manual of the Planes doesn't seem to have the Paraelemental or Quasielemental Planes... :unsure:

Oh, and one more fun fact: while he never makes an appearance here, Kas also had a domain in Ravenloft, adjacent to Vecna's own (another distraction for Vecna, courtesy of the Dark Powers). However, while Vecna's domain was destroyed when he forced his way out, Kas's realm of Tovag met a similar fate, and Kas himself...became a vestige, a la the kind utilized by binders in 3E's Tome of Magic. That's confirmed in Dragon #341, where his vestige stats are presented.

So yeah, if I spent most of this particular retrospective gushing over this book, I hope by now it's clear why. This is one hundred-sixty pages of pure awesome (and only a tiny bit of errata). This isn't just some Realms Shaking Event, or a Grand Conjunction, or a Cataclysm; this is your heroes saving all of Creation! Has there ever been any official D&D adventure where the stakes were as high as they are here?

Sure, Vecna eventually comes back, and as a lesser deity to boot (more than a demigod, but nowhere near the greater god he briefly was, let alone the new architect of the multiverse), and even Iuz manages to pull himself together, but your characters went toe-to-toe with a god, picked up some relics and even a major artifact or two along the way (take that, Tomes mini-series!), and even got a personal thank you from the Lady of Pain in the form of a magic item which can actually create portals into and out of Sigil! From Greyhawk to Ravenloft to Planescape, this is the sort of grand tour sendoff that an edition of D&D deserves!

Quite the way to close out this walk down memory lane, I'd say. :)

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Once again, we come to the end of another nostalgic look back at the D&D products of yesteryear.

When my first such retrospective was completed, I went looking for another reason to pull my old AD&D 2E books off the shelves enjoy sharing some fond memories with everyone here, and wasn’t sure entirely where to turn my attention. The criteria I set for myself were that they needed to be a particular line of print products which I’d managed to collect all of. But unlike the leatherettes, nothing in particular jumped out at me; while I have quite a lot of old 2E books, few of them were part of any sort of extended line. Most were instead parts of smaller sets, forming limited series that concluded after a handful of products.

Naturally, that was when the lightbulb went off over my head.

While there were some limited series which I haven’t finished collecting (yet), a quick perusal of my shelves confirmed that I had more than enough of these to start a limited series look-back, overviewing the various mini-collections that dotted AD&D 2nd Editions’s eleven-and-a-half years of history. I even managed to add one such collection midway through, belatedly realizing that the perfect way to end things would be with the “Apocalypse Adventures” that concluded AD&D 2E itself.

So I suppose now the question is “what next?” After all, I’m having far too much fun with these to quit here. To that end, I have four ideas in mind, and I’m curious what you guys think for possible topics of future retrospectives:
  • Ravenloft 2E: My favorite campaign setting, and one of the few for which I’ve managed to collect everything they put out (not including novels, computer games, etc.).
  • Spelljammer 2E: A close second, the weirdness of wildspace seems like it could make for a lot of fun.
  • Game-related nonfiction: Something really different this time! I’ve read quite a few nonfiction books about tabletop role-playing games in general, and D&D in particular; this time around, I’d be talking about my opinion of these books.
  • Tails of Equestria: The dark horse (pun intended) of these ideas, this would be a look back at the My Little Pony RPG from River Horse, which seems like it’s concluded, since they haven’t put out a new product for it in a little while now. Yes, I’m a bit of a brony too, so why not?
Or maybe something else altogether? Let me know what you guys think! I won’t be starting a new thread immediately (Gen Con is coming up, after all), but I’m sure to get started before too long, and hopefully there’ll be a lot more nostalgia to be had!

Remove ads