Compressing the Numbers

default_entry

First Post
So I've been looking at Saga edition, and I've been thinking that it could really benefit from cutting out the Base attack rules and switching to something closer to 4E's 1/2 level to Attack/defense system.
The biggest things that jump out at me are reducing skill bonuses for training and Skill focus to +3 each, and considering some kind of mechanic for the Soldier/Jedi to help them stand out as a 'combat' class a little more. (Though Jedi may just receive an extra skill instead)

Anyone else have any issues with this that jump out at them?

I did this with my own house-ruled version of Saga.

The 1/2 level progression applies to Attacks, Skills, and Defenses.

Skill Training grants +4 to trained skills. Skill Focus grants an additional +4.
Weapon Proficiency grants +2 to attacks. Weapon Focus grants an additional +2.
Great Fortitude / Iron Will / Lightning Reflexes grant a +3 to their Defense.

Soldiers get an additional +2 to attacks with weapons for which they are proficient.
Jedi get an additional +2 to attacks with lightsabers and unarmed attacks.

Also, armor as DR. Light armor is 1 die, Medium armor 2 dice, and heavy armor 3 dice.

Along with some other house-rule stuff.

Force-Users are still somewhat more powerful than non-force users, but slightly less so than with standard Saga Edition. Power difference stays roughly the same across levels. Combat heavily favors attack over defense. Overall, suits my preferred playstyle very well, and has worked well for the groups that I ran for and played with.

Remove ads